16. The moment Liv finds out. - Chris

Casey presses a light kiss to my lips as I wiggle my foot into one of my black Vans

Casey presses a light kiss to my lips as I wiggle my foot into one of my black Vans. Can't wait to get home and ditch my uniform.

She leans against the door jamb as I secure my utility belt and holster my gun yet again, a tiny smirk on her face. "'Night."

Casey towers over most women at roughly six feet. Fine auburn hair, deep brown eyes, and always wearing a bright smile. Casey is cute, but she's not Olivia.

Every stupid night, I think about Liv while attempting to fall asleep. I think about our history and replay our greatest hits.

It's clear that Will is suspicious about us getting involved again, so I avoid asking about her. I know how the conversation will go, and my self-esteem will be in the hole afterward.

Nobody stays because I ruin everything I touch. But Will and his family always have my loyalty. They saved my life that horrid night.

"Hey, thanks for watching over Liv," I tell Sean when he calls me back. "I need to figure out what's going on over there."

"It was intense. The dog and I chased some dude, but he lost us. Sorry, man, I have no clue."

"Damn, how was Olivia after?"

"Anxious, but she was smiling when I left."

The corners of my mouth turn down into a deep frown. My temper flares, but I avoid commenting. "Did she anything to you about me? She seemed pissed."

"No, but I got that impression, too. Are you going to update Will?"

"Tomorrow."

I know I created this scenario by pulling away, but I hate the distance between us. Everybody knows I'm not good for her. Will and Mia made damn sure I walked away years ago.

For months, Casey and I have been hooking up once or twice a week. When she invited me over tonight, I eagerly accepted. Mid-kiss, my phone signaled a potential threat. Dropping Casey gently to the bed, I checked footage on the app, noticing Olivia had left the house with Snuggles forty minutes before.

But somebody was there. I immediately contacted Sean, who vowed to arrive in one moment with sirens. I monitored from where I was, and since Liv was away, I wasn't too worried. He updated me, and I called him while Casey went for water after.

"Hey, it's Rollins. Did you figure out what the threat was? Is she hanging tough?"

Voice gruff, he answers at a low volume. "Yeah, man, let me call you when I leave."

"Thanks. Can I speak with Liv?"

My heart leaps at her voice. "Chris?"

"Hi, you okay?" I softly ask. Distancing myself from her while she seems to want me around kills me. I clear my throat, injecting confident into my tone.

"I don't even know how to answer you. Are you at work?"

I hitch up my pants, inwardly cursing that she wants to know why I'm not there. "Not yet, I'm on in the early morning."

Casey re-enters the room, her bright smile shining as usual. "Do you need anything?" I ask Olivia.

A pause on her end stretches out forever. When she speaks, her reply is hasty. "Um, I'll be fine."

Casey extends my shirt, saying my name. "Thanks. You sure you'll be okay?"

Silence.

I squint, checking the phone. The screen shows the call is still in process. "Liv?"

"No, it's me," Sean says.

What the hell? "Is she done talking to me?"

He murmurs words to her, then to me, says, "She had to step away."

"Have her call me, please."

She didn't call. She didn't text. I reviewed the footage on her security cameras for ideas of what transpired, and my heart tore in half when I found Sean flirting and hugging her on her front porch.

If she kisses him, I will puke.

For weeks, I've alienated myself. Now's my chance to somehow offer an olive branch.

📱 CHRIS
Hey...

HEY?! This is the lamest text message in history of the world.

She left me on read for hours while I paced the living room.

Grabbing my keys, I stalk to my car. Halfway to her house, common sense thwacks my birdbrain, and I screech to a halt in the 7-11 parking lot.

She doesn't want you anymore because you pushed her away and shoved her at Sean. You do this shit to yourself.

 You do this shit to yourself