17. The jealousy. - Chris

My policeman's knock is being put to use again on Olivia's front door the Friday morning after the alleged break-in

Pausing to listen for movement, I glance around her yard, but I see no signs of life. I'd be more nervous if I didn't know that Will had Tommy living next door on purpose.

Snuggles barks wildly on the other side of the door as I post my arms on either side, patiently waiting.

"Olivia!" I call out, my fist hammering the door again. "Open the fucking door!"

Maybe patient is the wrong word.

"Ugh!" I shout, smacking the door. I stalk off to my cruiser, ripping the door open, and getting into the driver's seat.

Calls aren't returned, texts unanswered, and she reduced me to a fucking thank you note in the mail. Every time I drop in, she doesn't come to the door.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for all of the help and comfort you provided me after Jakob's death -- I'll always treasure the friendship we had.

Sincerely,

Olivia

A clear indicator of what our relationship has turned into. And, yes, I'm livid.

"Fuck!" I smack the steering wheel and pull out of her driveway. I don't know what it's supposed to be like between us, but I know not like this!

My work phone trills out. "Chris Rollins," I bark out.

"Hey," Casey says. "Are you okay?"

I sigh. Deeply. "Yes. How are you?"

"Decent. Wanted to know if you wanted to hook up sometime this weekend."

"Ummm yeah, when?"

"Tomorrow?"

"When do you get off work?"

"Not positive. I can come over after, though?"

"Okay, Case, I'll see you tomorrow."

She is a sweetheart, and I like being around her. We may not be anything to each other than friends with benefits, but I still want to respect her.

I'm in a fucking sour mood for the rest of the day. People always complain about my cocky attitude anyway, so they can all fuck off. After work, I meet some guys to blow off some steam.

"Gentlemen!" The server is bringing us more beer per our request.

"Thanks, beautiful," Dave tells her with a wink. I'm with five other guys, and they're trying to figure out how to fuck every woman in sight.

"Whoa, pink dress. Look at her," Parker says.

Clay lets out a low whistle. "That whole table is great to look at."