ix. the evacuation

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

THE EVACUATION BELL HAD BEEN RUNG. It echoed through the entirety of Trost District, and the residents wasted no time in fleeing. Margot could only hope that her mothe- Mila had made it out in time. And she could only hope that her home wouldn't become overrun by Titans. The home that she had grown up in. The place where Augustine had died. She was too emotionally attached to the place. But she had no time to think too long.

Margot, Sasha, Eren, Connie, Thomas, Mina and Samuel made it back to the HQ. She had located Jean and Marco rather quickly, making sure they were okay. She couldn't, however, find Bertholdt. She hadn't been given much time to find him either. Time. She didn't feel like she had enough of that to spare. Nobody did.

   "I want everyone to split into four squadrons, as practiced! All squadrons are responsible for supply-running, message relay and enemy combat under the command of the Garrison Regiment!" A man yelled down at the soldiers. Kitz Woermann, Margot believed his name was. "The Intercept Squadron will take the vanguard. Cadets will take the middle guard, led by the support squad. Rear guard will go to the elites. I expect you to man your posts knowing the Advance Team has been wiped out. That's right, the outer gate is history. The Titans are in."

A shudder passed through Margot's body. Her fingers gently brushed against Jean's before she clasped it properly. He didn't let go. They had been together constantly for practically their entire lives, and she couldn't help but wonder if this would be her last chance to see him again.

   "This means the Armoured Titan is likely to reappear. If he does, the inner gates will also be history," Kitz bluntly added.

Margot glanced up at Marco who was to her right, seeing that he wasn't smiling for once. He must be shaken to the core. So she held his hand too, for comfort. He looked down at her, appreciating the gesture.

   "Your mission is a very simple one. Defend the wall until the evacuation is done. Desertion is punishable by execution, I'm sure you all know. If it comes to it, lay down your lives. Dismissed!" Great, now I feel much better. Margot let go of the boys' hands, watching as everyone ran to their assigned posts.

In the flurry, Margot had lost Jean and Marco for a moment, but she was sure they were fine. However, she couldn't say the same for Daz who was throwing up a short distance away, Krista rubbing his back to comfort him. Margot kept her calm, taking a moment to collect her emotions.

   "Margot?" The girl spun on her heel, seeing Bertholdt standing not too far away. He had Reiner with him as well as Annie. As usual. Margot was beginning to feel like Reiner and Annie were indirectly involved with their relationship. She might as well date all three of them, seeing as they couldn't seem to be separated. Bertholdt pulled the girl into a hug, so tight that she felt her breathing becoming restricted. He must be really nervous. "Are you okay? I heard you were on the wall when the Colossal Titan appeared."