ii. the cadet corps

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

THREE YEARS LATER (847) ...

JEAN KIRSTEIN'S WORDS all those years ago had left an impression on her mind for the following three years, carrying her all the way to the Cadet Corps. Much had changed since that day - Shiganshina District had been run over by titans for the first time in one hundred years, and everyone was in unrest. Margot's mother had been insistent that her daughter didn't sign up for the military, and had rather her daughter stayed with her, where she was ensured safety. Margot had not followed her wishes, much to her mother's chagrin.

Now, she stood with all the other cadets with the ambition to join the military, her slightly sweaty hands clenched at her sides as she maintained a calm and collected demeanour on the outside. Her long black hair was tied up into a high ponytail slicked back neatly, and around her neck hung the necklace her mother had given her as a parting gift. It was a simple string with a moon symbol hanging from it, reaching just above her chest. Other than that, she looked just like any other cadet, dressed in the acquired uniform. And beside her was Jean, standing much taller than he had three years ago.

They had both grown together, but had taken completely different routes in terms of their personalities. Jean was blunter and more hot-headed, not towards her, but towards others. He tended to rub people the wrong way, and sometimes Margot had to calm him down. Sometimes she didn't have to, her relaxed nature usually brought him back down to Earth. She tended to have that effect on people, providing a sense of calmness. But she did have a habit for teasing him often, as well as others, and had acquired a sarcastic attitude to almost everything that she couldn't really help.

   "What do we have here?" A booming, loud voice pulled Margot out of her thoughts, thinking briefly for a moment that she was being yelled at for daydreaming. She had a tendency to do that. But instead, it was Jean being yelled at, Commander Shadis standing before him with wide eyes and leaning forward in an attempt to intimidate Jean. Jean straightened his posture and slammed his fist against the left side of his chest and placed his other hand behind his back in the appropriate salute.

   "Jean Kirstein, sir. From Trost District!" Jean responded. Margot looked away but ended up making eye contact with the boy next to her. He had dark hair and freckles, and a warm smile on her face that caused her lips to move up into a small smile. She wondered how someone could be so smiley in such an intimidating and daunting environment.

   "And why are you here?" Commander Shadis questioned Jean, his voice so cutting and harsh that Margot shifted slightly on the spot, but not enough to draw attention to herself. She didn't want to be the next target of the man.