xiii. grief and recovery

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

A WHITE-HAIRED young woman was sat curled up into a ball, snuggled into the corner of the carriage as it rumbled along its path

A WHITE-HAIRED young woman was sat curled up into a ball, snuggled into the corner of the carriage as it rumbled along its path. Her head was leaned up against the curtains that covered the glass, shielding her from the outside world's prying eyes. A content sigh left the woman's lips, her eyes slowly drifting towards the basket beside her. Reaching over, she pulled back the blanket covering the top of it, dark brown eyes filled with adoration as she saw two pairs of black eyes staring back at her.

There were two babies, both a few weeks old - a boy and a girl. The woman gently stroked their soft cheeks, feeling that they were cold. Perhaps they weren't, and she was just being too worrisome, but she still removed her black cloak and draped it over the two babies, leaving their eyes and nose uncovered. A tear rolled down the woman's cheek, her body shuddering as grief washed over her body. The babies stared blinking up at her with delight filled eyes, and that was the only thing keeping her from breaking down.

   "Leaves from the vine, falling so slow. Like fragile tiny shells drifting in the foam," the woman sang softly, her head leaning down until she could press a gentle kiss on the babies' foreheads. "Little soldier boy, come marching home. Brave soldier girl, comes marching home."

   "Those leaves did grow from branches overgrown drifting slowly down, resting on the loam. Little soldier boy taken from home forced to fight a war that's not his own. Leaves from the vine, falling so slow. Like fragile tiny shells drifting in the foam. Little soldier girl says "carry me home." Sleeping little soldier is carried home." Her gentle singing had lulled the children to sleep, eyelids covering their previous eyes she had grown to love so quickly.

The carriage came to a stop, and the woman let out an involuntary sob, gripping the cloak that was covering the children as she realised her journey had ended. Stepping out of the carriage, she walked around and opened the other side, picking up the basket carrying the two children and walking towards a house, the streets quiet as it was late into the night. Bringing her hand up to the door, she knocked three times, and settled the basket on the floor by the door. With a heavy sigh, the woman pulled the cloak to cover the children's faces before heading back to the carriage. It would be a one-way journey.

Margot stirred from her dream slowly, her entire body aching. That was enough indication for her to not move, staying with her head resting against the pillow and the sun leaking through the curtains blinding her. Flinching, she brought her hand up to her eyes, rubbing them before deciding to try and figure out where she was.

It was a medical room of some sorts, but there wasn't much in it other than a bed, a desk and a few bottles of something she didn't recognise. Shifting slightly, she felt a sharp pain across her mid section and let out a small cry, stilling her movements instantly.