vii. departure

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

   "IF YELENA HADN'T SHOWN up, who knows what would have happened?" Acantha worried as she sat at the table in Margot's cottage, Levi and Hanji seated with them with a cup of tea brewed for them each

Margot hadn't slept much at all since her assassination attempt a few nights ago and Levi had stayed with her during both nights, seated in her room. He hadn't slept either, but he wasn't much of a sleeper at the best of times. They both sat at the table, sleep-deprived bags under their grey eyes.

   "I killed two of them," Margot pointed out nonchalantly, lowering her teacup.

   "And you didn't notice the two others. It was too close," Levi reminded her, pushing her breakfast closer to her. Sighing, she ate it despite not feeling hungry at all.

   "When are Eren and Jean getting here?" Margot asked.

   "They're not coming until later. I told them not to come over so soon."

   "I've been in this cottage for four days and I haven't seen anyone. Isn't this a bit excessive?"

   "No, it's not," Levi retorted. "You need to lay low for a little while and stay where you can't be found. Nobody knows about the cottage apart from those you trust, and it's gonna stay that way." Margot nodded reluctantly in understanding, slumping into her seat.

   "Perhaps it's better for her to go to Lyria," Hanji said. Seeing the shocked look on Levi and Margot's faces, they corrected themselves quickly. "Not permanently. Just for a few months until this all blows over. It's already been mentioned in the newspapers - something like this might inspire opportunists. Just a few months to clear your head, and then you come back."

Margot stayed quiet, thinking about her friends and more particularly Eren. He had been in a bad state the minute he heard there had been an attempt on her life in his absence, and he started blaming himself for not being with her at the time. He had also insisted on staying with her at night, but Levi had taken that duty upon himself. Jean had been just as distraught, and was adamant on killing the attackers himself before being informed that they were already dead. Margot didn't exactly want to leave them at a time like this.

   "Perhaps Hanji is right," Levi spoke up, leaning back in his chair.

   "You guys are forgetting that I'm a Scout. I can't just abandon my duty," Margot reminded them.

   "And I'm your Commander, and I'm advising you to lay low in Lyria," Hanji instructed. It sounded more like an order than an offer this time. Margot placed down her cutlery, not having the energy to force herself to eat.

   "What about-"

   "Eren and the other brats will survive fine without you for a few months," Levi reassured, placing his hand on her head and ruffling her hair. Seeing as there was no point in arguing, Margot nodded, saying no more.