New Different

When I saw her, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that she was different. If you'd asked me then, I wouldn't have been able to tell you why; she wasn't my type, she was, frankly, unpleasant most of the time, and she displayed quite clearly on that delicate little face of hers that she had exactly zero interest in me. From the scrunch of those thin, red eyebrows, to the pout of her lips, it was made abundantly clear to me that if I disappeared, she wouldn't go looking.

Far from it.

But still, somehow, a pull at my gut told me otherwise. I felt drawn to her like a moth to light, following her even when it was the wrong way, because how could anything ever be wrong if I got to be with her?

Despite her flaws and despite the fact that she wasn't my biggest fan, she was still so interesting to be around. To watch. To marvel at.

Believe me, I was aware of how pathetic I was; even my inner monologue pined after her, longing to just be near her because her presence made me feel something, something incredible.

It amazed me every single day just how much I didn't know about her; like a nesting doll, her layers slowly came undone, and I anxiously awaited the day there were no more layers, no more dolls; just us.

Not only was she the smartest woman I'd ever met, she was patient and kind, always encouraging expectant Mother's with strong words and gleeful smiles. Even the most nervous of women wouldn't be able to withhold a smile when she began to speak. She was everyone's best friend.

So, this new different that I'd begun to feel, it was something that surprised me, but not in a bad way.

On this particular night, I had just finished a therapy session with my psychiatrist, something I didn't quite particularly enjoy but was nonetheless an important task. Bodies, in my opinion, are similar to cars. Regular maintenance checks tend to be necessary for the best possible experience.

As I made my way out, the second I'd closed the shrink's office door behind me actually, the door across the hall opened up, and none other than Addison Montgomery was standing in front of me, as if she'd just seen a ghost.

My eyes quickly darted to the name plate on the office door she'd just emerged from.

Dr. Darcy Hudson, MD, PhD Psychiatry

And so it seemed the world began to get a little smaller. Addison was seeing a therapist too; and if I had to guess, I'd say her latest session did not go very well. The air in the corridor immediately shifted, and a thick, tense, awkward air threatened to choke me.

She stood in front of me, frozen, eyes wide with surprise and mouth agape. It took her a moment, and then two, but I watched as her facial expression turned to one of recognition, the shock melting away to make room for reaction.

"Grey" she says, eyes darting around to look anywhere but directly at me. "I trust this is something we can keep to ourselves?" I didn't miss the way her voice wavered at the end, seemingly nervous that I'd go gossiping about her personal information all over the hospital.

This was my chance to prove myself to her. My golden ticket came in the form of a door and a small name plate, and I was not about to blow it.

"Keep what to ourselves?" I smirked, raising an eyebrow questioningly at her. "I'm assuming the patient you were consulting with, in Dr. Hudson's office, is doing nothing but well" I was being courteous with her, but I knew she could tell there was something else there.

Her eyes stared me up and down sceptically, as I stood before her holding my breath, hoping for best case scenario whilst simultaneously preparing for the worst.