The Quarantine Diaries

Soooo I had this idea for a one shot, but honestly it's too good to just have one chapter. The only problem is I'm chronically lazy, I don't want to make a cover for a 5 chapter lil story, so I'm putting them here lol. I figured this way I could also keep adding chapters to it every now and then if it's something you guys are interested in. Thank you guys for reading, I love you all more than Addison loves Meredith 😂❤️ ~Daisy

preface

addison's pov:

"You've both been exposed to the corona virus, and as a result will be required by our hospital to quarantine yourselves for two weeks. The hospital will provide a hotel room and cover the cost of food during those two weeks; as you're both women, you'll be quarantining in the same room. Your patients and surgeries will be looked after in your absence, however, digital charts, notes and updates will be provided every day via email, that way you can still decide the course of treatment. Any further questions?"

Richard Webber could've told me it was just as well told me that he wanted me to jump off a bridge with a sack of rocks tied to my ankles. As I sat next to Meredith in the Chief of surgeries office, where we all wore masks, gloves and gowns, I couldn't help but feel like I was in the principals office receiving a punishment for something I didn't do.

"But we were around other people before we realized our patient tested positive for covid" Meredith said, seemingly puzzled "shouldn't there be other people quarantining as well?"

"Isn't there any other options?" I ask reasonably, not wanting to be stuck rooming with Meredith for the duration of our quarantines "can't we quarantine on our own? At home?"

Richard shakes his head with a sigh. "A hotel room is the only way to guarantee complete isolation while also making sure that we can keep on eye on you for symptoms. It's policy; we cannot let anyone back into the hospital who didn't quarantine properly" he explains, and I sigh.

"This isn't going to work Richard, I can't stay in a hotel room for two weeks with her!" I was aware that I sounded petty, but I didn't care.

This was not happening.

"We've got over one hundred staff members in quarantine right now as a precaution. Over half are in hotels, mostly our doctors and nurses, the other staff members who don't directly deal with patients were allowed to quarantine on their own, provided they had regular symptom checks. You two were exposed to the worst of it and have the highest chances of getting sick. I can't have you walking around my hospital" he states with a sigh "do you think it benefits me in any way to have my best resident and my head of neonatal medicine out for two weeks?"

"Can't we room with someone else?" Meredith asks eagerly, and I'm relieved that she beat me to the punch.

"This is how we're doing it; you both were on the same case, exposed to the same patient at the same time, and will have to quarantine for the exact same time. I understand it isn't ideal, but none of this is" he's firm, and I know there's no use in arguing with him.

"Well, I guess that's that" I sigh, looking over at Meredith, then back at the chief. I knew it was a pain for him to have to do this in the first place, and I just counted myself lucky that I wouldn't have to pay for the hotel myself. I knew for a fact neither of us could quarantine at home, because I didn't have an apartment in Seattle yet and she had a house full of roommates, so this made the most sense. It was the easiest option.

"Now" the chief says "you're both to go home, touch as little as possible and wear masks when going through the halls, grab your things, and we'll have a nurse gowned, gloved and sterilized to take your temperatures and escort you to your rooms. Her number will be available, if you start exhibiting any symptoms, you're to call her right away. Am I clear?" He asks, standing up.

We both nod in sync, standing along with him. "After the two weeks we'll be back at work?" I ask hopefully, not wanting to have to abandon my patients for any longer.

"Assuming you test negative, you'll be back to work within a couple days after your quarantine period has ended. Of course, you'll still be closely monitored by our nurses to assure you're not a asymptomatic"

"Two weeks is a long time" Meredith says next to me, and I nod in agreement. I knew two weeks was a long time for her to be out of the surgical resident program, there were a lot of different things to be learned in just two weeks, and she'd be missing out.

"I have a patient due for a c-section in a week" I remember suddenly "who's going to deliver her baby? She's high-risk, I've been with her since the beginning" I exclaim, now irritated beyond belief that I'd have to stick my patient, who's had me deliver two of her other babies, with a complete stranger.

"Our attending on call for obstetrics will. You will be kept updated via email on her condition and her course of treatment, as I've said" Richard tells me again "you cannot deliver a baby if you have the corona virus, Addison, a baby can't fight off such a harmful respiratory infection"

I slump my shoulders, knowing he's right but still hating the entire situation. It was safest to quarantine, for me and for my patients, and that just meant I'd have to take the back seat on this one.

"This" Meredith declares "sucks"

"Agreed"