What the hell is that?

Meredith Montgomery-Grey had everything life had to offer; a good job, a nice house, an amazing wife who'd birthed her three gorgeous children. Indeed, life was good and getting better by the day. But Meredith still had a hole in her heart she aimed to fill; a dog sized hole.

"We should get a dog" Meredith tells Addison one morning, as they get breakfast ready for the kids. "The boys would love it; after all, a dog is a boys best friend" she points out, pouring orange juice into three cups.

"Meredith" Addison shakes her head, their youngest son balanced on her hip "we have a six year old, a three year old and a six month old. Why in the name of hell do you think adding a dog into the mix would be a good idea?"

"Because dogs are good companions. They're sweet and cuddly and love you unconditionally" Meredith explains, taking the baby from her wife and putting him in his high chair.

"If I remember correctly, that's what you said last week when you asked me to have a fourth baby"

~

Over the course of the next week, Meredith could tell she was wearing Addison down. She was hellbent on getting a dog, and her wife knew her iron will was not easily changed.

"Okay, alright" Addison had finally caved "we'll go to the shelter to look, just to look Meredith. We don't have to get one right away" she explains, visibly irritated.

They'd made a plan to go to the shelter the next night while the boys were with a babysitter, but life apparently had different plans for Meredith. She was quite aware of that when her pager went off, loudly and obnoxiously, before they'd even had a chance to leave the house.

"Oh no" Meredith groaned; she was on call for the night, but she was hoping that she'd have a couple of hours at least before getting paged. "You go without me, maybe if you pet some of the dogs and talk to some people there you'll be more excited to actually bring one home" she tells Addison, hoping her wife would come around.

"I don't want to go without you. After all, this is all your idea. I wanted nothing to do with it" Addison says back with a sigh.

"The boys are with a babysitter for the night, this never happens. You have the night to yourself; pet some puppies, talk to the puppy people and then go get your nails done or something to think on it" Meredith was hoping bribery would convince her lovely wife, even though it hadn't exactly worked out in the past.

"Alright, alright" Addison hesitantly agrees "but I'm going shopping. It's not every day I get a night to myself, you know"

"As long as you look at the puppies, it's a night well spent"

~

Meredith got a text later on that night from Addison. She was hoping it had gone well at the shelter, and while she was positive Addison wouldn't get a dog right away, she was thinking at least now she'd come around to the idea.

I got us a dog

The text was unexpected and a complete surprise, but regardless, Meredith was over the moon excited. She hadn't expected this, but nonetheless it was a pleasant surprise.

On the drive home from work the next morning, Meredith was giddy with anticipation. What kind of dog had Addison gotten? Was it a boy or a girl? Probably a girl, knowing Addie. What had she named it? What kind of dog was it?

While she didn't really care what the breed was, Meredith loved big dogs and was secretly hoping for one. A husky, a Labrador retriever, a golden retriever, a boxer, a Rottweiler, these all flashed through Meredith's mind as she began to envision the dog Addie had picked out.

Wishful thinking; she knew Addison had probably picked something a little smaller. A beagle maybe? Or a poodle? Maybe even an English bulldog or possibly a Crocker spaniel?

When Meredith finally got home, she was greeted with the two older boys running towards her, followed closely by what Meredith could only describe as a rat.

"Mommy look! Mama got a dog!" Their oldest son, Carson, said excitedly, pointing to the tiniest, fluffiest, most unpleasant looking dog on the planet.

"I see" Meredith said timidly, unimpressed with her wife's pick "Carson, take Jack upstairs and help him get ready for school. Mommy has to talk to Mama" she watched as Carson held his brothers chubby little three-year-old hand to help him all the way up the stairs before going to the kitchen to confront her wife.

"What" Meredith declared, seeing Addie with the baby on her hip packing lunches for the boys "what the hell is that?" She asks, pointing to the dog, who was chasing its own tail in the hallway.

"That's our new dog! Isn't she sweet? The boys named her Skye after the dog on Paw Patrol" Addison smiles, placing the baby in his high chair "Sawyer, can you say Skye?" She said in a silly baby voice to their son, who laughed and clapped his hands against the tray of the high chair.

"That is not a dog" Meredith deadpans "that is a rat"

"She's a Pomeranian-Yorkie mix. She's two years old, fully grown they told me" Addison defended, picking up Skye and kissing her fuzzy head. At this, Meredith noticed the dog had an underbite that caused her tongue to stick out.

"Nobody wanted to adopt her because she's got no top teeth; she had to get them removed. She had a bad infection when she was found a few months ago, and now she looks kinda funny. The boys love it; it's really the cutest thing" Addison explained, stroking the dogs head "she's five pounds, if she gains a pound or two it's no big deal because she's pretty tiny"

"Rule of thumb Addison, if you can drop-kick it over a fence, it's not a dog"

"You said you wanted a dog-" Addison began to defend, but Meredith cut her off.

"Yes honey, a dog not a rat"

"Meredith, she really is a sweet girl. She's just the right size to play with the kids, she's gentle and plays nice. She doesn't bite or growl at all, even when Jack tried to put her in Sawyer's stroller" Addison places the dog down on the floor, who happily bounces over to Meredith's feet.

"I wanted a big dog" Meredith grumbles, as Skye looks up at her with big brown puppy eyes. Her tail was wagging, tongue sticking out, and Meredith had to admit, she did look kinda cute.

"Well I didn't. So we compromised. We got a dog, but only a little one" Addison says firmly, followed with "and we're not bringing her back"

Meredith bent over to pick up Skye, and Skye was so excited she began to lick Meredith's face. She was quite soft, her fur was nicer than Meredith had expected. Looking at the dog in her arms, Meredith decided there was really no such thing as an ugly dog.

Even this tiny little rat her wife dragged home from the pound had a quality about her that was undeniably adorable.

"She's cute" Meredith finally says "she isn't what I was expecting, but she's cute. And the kids love her and you love her, I guess I can't ask for much more than that"

"No" Addison smiled, kissing her wife "you really can't"