49

Mackenzie sat on the piano bench, her new book opened up to the first page as she transferred her songs that she remembered into it.

She transferred train wreck, lovely, and was finishing up perfect harmony.

A figure appeared beside the girl, making her jump up and look at the boy.

"Relax, it's just me." Luke said, pulling the girl back down.

"Don't do that!" She said, lightly hitting the boys arm, noticing he was looking at her song.

"I like this song, who's it about?" Luke asked dumbly.

"Well, this is the song I was singing last night. And you know who it's about. Just some 5'8 dork." Mackenzie joked.

"Let's play it." Luke said with a smile, watching the girls eyes glow.

Mackenzie smirked and began to play the notes on the piano, nudging Luke's arm with her elbow for him to start.

"Step into my world
Bittersweet love story about a girl
Shook me to the core
Voice like an angel
Never heard before" Luke said looking from the book to the girl.

"Here, in front of me
Shining so much brighter than I have ever seen
Life can be so mean
But when it goes, I know he doesn't leave.." Mackenzie sang, keeping eye contact with the boy.

"The truth is finally breaking through
Two worlds collide when I'm with you
Our voices rise and soar so high
We come to life when we're
In perfect harmony
Whoa-oa-oa, whoa-oa-oa
Perfect harmony
Whoa-oa-oa, whoa-oa-oa
Perfect harmony" they sang together, harmonizing and smiling at each other.

"You set me free
You and me together is more than chemistry
Love me as I am
I'll hold your music here inside my hands"

"We say we're friends, we play pretend
You're more to me, we're everything
Our voices rise and soar so high
We come to life when we're
In perfect harmony
Whoa-oa-oa, whoa-oa-oa
Perfect harmony
Whoa-oa-oa, whoa-oa-oa
Perfect harmony"

As they sang, Luke took notice to the lyrics. He realized that this song was from before they started dating and probably meant more than anything to her for the short time she had it.

"We say we're friends (we play pretend)
You're more to me (we create)
Perfect harmony" they finished, faces centimeters apart.

"I like it." Luke said with a smirk, biting his lip.

"thanks.. you catch on quick." Mackenzie said, pecking the boys lips then turning away.

"Trust me, I do not catch on quick. It took me like 3 years you liked me back." Luke said with his eyebrow raised.

"Ok, but so am I. But with music it's so easy." Mackenzie said, standing up and grabbing her book. "Oh and by the way, don't even try to take my book and snoop alright."

Luke nodded, seeing the girl set it down up in the loft.

The lyrics "we sat were friends we play pretend" stuck in Luke's head. Mackenzie was good at putting words together and making them seem right, but that line was so subtle that you really have to pay attention to catch it.

"Hey Kenz?" Luke asked, standing from the piano and looking towards the girl.

"Mhm?" She hummed, peeking over the railings.

"If we never died would and your book wasn't ruined, would you ever have shown the song?" Luke asked, scratching his neck.

Mackenzie stood there thinking about her answer. "The truth? I have no idea, I think I would maybe only show you or maybe Alex because he's my go to person for advice. Reggie would try to understand it but wouldn't and Bobby would've shrugged and said ok."

Luke nodded his head. "What about my advice! Why am I not your go to?!" He asked dramatically.

Mackenzie laughed at the boys behavior and said "because why would I ask you for Advice about you. Alex knows everything."

Luke nodded, agreeing that Alex was the go to for advice besides Mackenzie.

"yeah, I don't blame you. I go to him for advice about you. Like our last date when we were alive, he helped me figure that out." Luke said, Mackenzie smirking at the boy.

"So Alex planned our date to the drive up movie?" Mackenzie asked with a shocked face.

"Yeah, I wanted our last normal date to be fun since we were supposed to be big the next day at the orpheum." Luke said.

Yeah, their last date was the night before their death. If they knew this, they would've made it even better than it was. But, they both really loved that date.

A/n:
Shorter chapter because this is leading up to a flashback for next chapter!!
Also 3 more chapters after this 🙊