How To See In The Dark

44
How To See In The Dark

Apokolips

Fate's portal shut behind Dick and Donna. They were transported to the dungeons of Apokolips. Wrought with charred bones and steam pits. Screams echoed throughout the dungeon.

Dick looked over the narrow pathway. His bruised face was painted orange by the molten fire below. He turned away from the pits and focused on the endless corridor.

"How will we find him? This place is huge." Donna whispered.

"There's no need to whisper, Donna, I'm pretty sure they know we're here." Dick said as he started down the pathway.

"They as in..."

"As in the Justice League. There's a reason Darkseid brought Supergirl on the ship. A reason his entire army is in a different dimension. With Batman's wit, Superman's strength, and Wonder Woman's technique this place is basically a fortress."

"When did you start being the wise one?" Donna asked.

"Younger, smarter, prettier." He retorted. He pulled off the envoy's armor. He threw it over the ledge, careless.

"Only one of those things are accurate but I'll let you win this time." Donna broke free of her disguise as well.

Dick lifted the Fatherbox and shut his eyes. "Please work." He murmured.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"These things have to work off of some kind of psychic connection. I figure if I just think about where Alister is, it'll guide me there." Dick responded.

"What kind of Thanagarian drugs have you been doing? You really think that'll work? Dick, the fate of everything is at stake and we have zero time for—"

"Donna just trust me, alright?" Dick cut her off. He stopped walking and turned to her. "It's all connected." He said.

Donna searched his eyes for a moment longer than she normally would've. She had to. It'd been a long time since they spent that much time together.

Her lips pressed to a firm line. She didn't say anything, she just nodded. She motioned for him to lead the way.

Dick started down the corridor again. They walked in complete silence for what felt like hours. In reality, only a minute.

Donna had to break the silence. "I thought you would be a mess, you know?"

"I was." He answered. Curt so that she didn't continue. He knew her well enough to know she would anyway.

"We all were but you—you were barely holding on. I hate to say it but I thought you were crazy. We looked everywhere for Alister and when the lead on Thanagar went cold all signs pointed to him being dead.."

"Donna," He sighed. "We don't have to do the thing."

"Dick, I have to say this. I know we leave a lot of shit unsaid, all of us, but maybe that's not a good thing anymore. After everything that's happened—with everything at stake—you have to let me say this." She put her hand on his shoulder.

Dick stopped in his tracks. He lowered the Fatherbox and looked her in the eye.

"I'm sorry." She said. "I should've helped you, I should've kept looking. I thought you were a mess and I wrote you off, left to Themyscira. I don't expect you to forgive me, let alone Alister, but you have to know."