Alpha Team

26
Alpha Team

Markovia

Dick, Roy, Jason, Tim, and Rose lounged around the abandoned factory. They wore heavy coats to regulate body heat. Markovia, much like the rest of the countries in this part of Europe, was a glorified ice machine.

An unforeseen blizzard swept over the old snow with new. The temperature dropped to arctic levels. Camping in a factory with no heat felt like hell.

"C-c-can't we ask Rach-chel to portal Kory in and s..start a f-fire or something?" Rose asked. Her teeth chattered about.

"I almost got it, just give me a sec," Dick responded over his shoulder.

Dick and Roy were huddled over a pile of dried brush and firewood. They made sure to choose a room with no windows so that the flames couldn't be spotted. Roy doubted anybody with sense would be out in a blizzard. He was beginning to doubt they'd ever make a fire as well.

"Come on Grayson, you mean to tell me Bruce never taught you this in Batman survival class one-o-one?" Roy chided.

"Bruce taught me a lot of things, starting a fire wasn't one of 'em. If the fire had bones I could break them, but this is out of my depth." Dick retorted. He huffed in annoyance and tossed the fire starter on the dusty floor. "A lot has been out of my depth lately." He mumbled.

Dick stood up and stalked out of the room. Roy narrowed his eyes at his old friend. He stood and turned to Rose and Jason. "You two give it a try. I'll be back." He said.

Roy followed Dick down the empty hall. "Hey Grayson!"

Dick groaned and slowed to a stop. "You need something, Roy?"

"I'm good. How about you? Do you need something?" Roy returned, eyes piercing into Dick's.

"I'm good."

"You sure? 'Cause you don't look good. You look like you're carrying some baggage and we've been around the block enough times to know, carrying baggage in the field gets people killed."

"What's your point, Roy?"

"My point is, if you need to get some things off your chest I got nothing but time."

Dick narrowed his eyes at Roy. He knew Roy was right. Carrying his problems in the field would take his mind off of the mission. If he focused on anything but the mission, he'd find himself buried in an unmarked grave. Or worse.

He sighed and slid down against the wall. Roy sat on the wall across from him.

"Don't be shy, Grayson, I basically know all your dirty little secrets. Once upon a time we hashed out all of our problems over drinks. You, me, Garth, Hank, Al and Wa.." Roy shook his head.

"It's Al." Dick sighed.

"You two on the rocks? Don't tell me you cheated on him, Grayson, you've always been a star self-saboteur."

Dick sucked bis teeth and waved Roy off. "I would never cheat on him, dumbass. I'm worried about him. Last year he was kidnapped, tortured and mutilated. Two weeks ago, he was kidnapped, semi-tortured, and forced to kill the Hawks and his father. Then he watched his home world explode."

"He's been having nightmares ever since then. I think it's the same nightmare about his dad but he won't talk to me about it and I can't help him. He won't talk to anyone now that Hazel is dead. She was his therapist. If he would just let me in, maybe I could do something, you know?"