For Darkseid

35
For Darkseid

Deep Space

Conner's blue eyes pierced forward. He could've burned holes in the monitor in a single flex. With the way things on the other side were going, he wasn't too far off.

"Watching them all day won't make change anything," Said Kara. She leaned against the wall with her arm crossed. A concerned gaze branding her little cousin's back.

Conner sighed. He tore his eyes away from the monitor and focused on Kara. "I know," He responded.

"So take a break. If you're worried about Aesir, I promise you J'onn would never hurt him." She vowed.

"It's not that," Conner waved his hands. "I'm not worried about him... I-I don't think he needs me for that." Shame weighed his eyes to the floor.

Kara sighed. She walked over to him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Conner you can't keep blaming yourself for what happened. You didn't know he was alive."

"I did," Conner admitted. "Eve told me we had a baby and I didn't even bat an eye. All I could think about was Vosh and I just abandoned finding Aesir. Turns out Aesir was already alive and the kid I abandoned was completely different."

"I wouldn't leave Vosh's side and in the end that meant nothing. He died right in front of me and I couldn't save him." His tearful confession progressed.

"I'm three for three, Kara. I keep taking my eye off the ball and I can't afford to do that anymore. Not when we're this close."

"Aesir's here now, Conner, and I think you should get to know him. He's doing the best he can."

"We all are," Conner deadpanned.

"Uh not to interrupt your profoundly depressing conversation but a few seconds ago The Cruiser received an emergency distress signal of Oan origin on the nearby planet Bolovax Vik." Brainiac announced as he walked into the room. He cradled a tablet to his chest, eyes never leaving the screen.

Conner's brows dipped. "Oan distress signal? Do we know who it's from?" He walked across the bridge. Conner extended his hand for the tablet.

Brainy passed it to Conner. He sat in the captain's chair and took control of the Q-Command interface. Interlac dialects splayed across every monitor. Brainiac easily tuned himself with each one.

In a quiet room, unaware of the situation on the bridge, the psychics pooled their energies together. The Martian Manhunter, Dreamer, Jericho, and Aesir sat in a circle. Eyes shut. Hands folded in their laps. It'd been that way for hours.

The air in the dim room was heavy. So heavy that the flames on the candles were compressed to bulbs. What they hoped to accomplish wasn't hard. It was impossible.

Doing the impossible could be frustrating. Especially for psychics without hundreds of years of experience. Jericho clenched his jaw. Dreamer sighed and opened her eyes.

"J'onn, Ace, I love you guys but we've been at this since we woke up and it's not working." She said as she stood.