Epilogue (3): Remembrance

Epilogue (3):
Remembrance

It was a particularly bleak day. The sun hid under blankets of dark clouds. As if it could not bare to be seen. Tulip envied the sun. Because she couldn't hide from that day.

The day her fathers would be laid to rest.

Her dark, grey-green, skin held a dullness to match her eyes. And her olive eyes were hollow like her chest. She had to press her palm into her chest to be sure her heart still beat. Either she was numb, or she was dead.

A soft knock on her door broke her from the glare in the mirror. "Come in," She didn't recognize her own voice. Her long curls lapped against the bottom of her shoulder blades as she turned. When she locked with Rachel, she felt a stampeding thump in her chest.

She wore a long, black dress. Simple but effective in complimenting her beauty. Her black hair with ultraviolet streaks fell bluntly just over her shoulders. Cut, no doubt, just for this occasion. In her steel blue eyes, Tulip found worry.

Of course she was worried. Rachel was an empath. She could, no doubt, feel everything Tulip felt.

"They're finishing up Roy's unveiling in Remembrance Hall." Rachel informed. She didn't need powers to be sure Tulip knew what that meant.

Tulip nodded. Her hand slipped down her chest and to her stomach. As if to feel the depth of the pitch inside it. She turned, and unleashed a rushed breath. One that gave her little relief. As her chest was still wound tight.

Rachel shut the door quietly behind her. "I know you don't want to come out," She began gently. "So I'm here to tell you, you don't have to." She pushed off of the door.

Tulip's brows wove together. Her eyes fell upon Rachel as the girl crossed the room. "What do you mean? I-I have to go. I... My speech?"

"Nobody's expecting you to get up there, in front of the entire multiverse, and make a speech about your dads. About your loss. Not when everyone else is feeling the exact same way. That shouldn't be on you." Rachel said.

Tulip shook her head. "But I..." A lump constricted her throat. Tears brimmed her eyes but she caged them with a blink. "...They have to know I didn't leave them.." Her lips trembled.

Rachel stopped beside her in the mirror. She locked eyes with tulip as she laced their hands together. Her own breath hitching at the hubris. Tulip's hand was warmer than her own, but her grip was weak. As if she wasn't there.

She lifted Their hands. "Open your eyes, Tulip." She murmured. A slight squeeze on her hand.

Tulip sniffled and opened her eyes. The tears clouding her instantly fled down her cheeks. She blinked herself into clarity. First, she found Rachel's eyes in the mirror.

"Look," Rachel shook her arm gently.

Second, her eyes landed on the bracelet adorning her wrist. It was given to her by her father. The first thing they'd shared. She could almost feel her father wiping her tears and vowing he'd never leave her.

"I meant it, Kiddo. I'm not leaving you forever. I'm coming back, and when I do I will never leave you again okay? I promise." He said.

"Promise?" She whimpered. Her eyes wide and glossy as she watched her father. She could've latched onto him and never let him go in that moment. She wanted to, more than anything. Because she believed him. She believed he would be her dad forever.