The Scythe

39
The Scythe

Kalibak's fists tightened around his scythe. His anger emanated in his eyes. "You'll die first, Wench." He spat, pointing his scythe to the rooftop Rachel stood on.

Through the smoke he could see her coy grin. He intended to cut it from her face. He growled and lobbed his scythe at her.

"Rachel!" Tulip cried out. Her heart stopped as the scythe cut through the air. She reached out, desperate. Praying that her strange new ability would work.

Her prayers were answered. The new powers she desperately wanted to understand came to Rachel's aid. The scythe stopped mid air.

Kalibak gasped. Truly astonished by the mortals for the first time. His golden eyes landed on Tulip. "You. You are of the element." He pointed at the girl.

Wade's heart dropped. He knew that look in Kalibak's eyes all too well. He'd seen it all his life. The moment people saw what he could do, they all wanted one thing from him. To weaponize him.

That was the last thing he wanted for his child.

"She can be of use to our efforts on Apokolips. I will take her to the Stronghold."

"Over my dead body." Wade growled. He opened his palms and lifted his arms to the sky.

The earth shook underneath them. Buildings shook on the storefront. The crumbled pavement furthered. Gargantuan vines blasted out of the soil.

The poisonous vines swatted Cyborg out of the sky. He crashed into a parked van. They wrapped around Kalibak and pulled him deeper into the ground.

Red Hood slipped his special clips into his pistols. "I've been waiting to use these." He said as he took aim.

Kalibak didn't even struggle. He simply chuckled and allowed them to entertain him. His amused smirk fell when one of Red Hood's bullets broke skin.

"Not smiling now are you, Bastard? That's what Nth Metal and a little poison can do." Red Hood bragged.

"What are you waiting for? Get out of here!" He yelled at his awe stricken daughter and her friends.

"We're not leaving you!" Tulip returned fiercely.

Cyborg righted himself. He blasted into the sky and landed before the children. His cybernetic eye was cracked from his crash.

"You've given us enough trouble." Cyborg pointed his arm at Rachel.

"Don't touch her!" Calvin threw himself in front of his sister. "Victor just let us go. All of this is for nothing, you people know that. I'm going to Ascend whether this planet is here or not." Calvin reasoned, hand outstretched.

Green sprites flickered between his fingers. He scoffed. He didn't understand what was going on with his powers. He didn't understand why he was so hungry.

Virgil noticed the way the stars moved across the sky. As if he was watching a time lapse video of the night. His brows furrowed but he stayed silent. The scene unfolding before him was more important than the stars.