Chapter 44

"Lightning! Lightning, No!!!! Don't leave me..." Bismarck sobbed, watching as Lightning started to fade away and the midnight blue cube started splintering, cracking into hundreds of pieces. Only one visible shard remained. It hovered on the air, coming to rest on Shokaku's palm. However, no one else realised, they were too grief-stricken to care. Tears were streaming down Bismarck's face as she hunched over the spot Lightning had disappeared, still clutching onto the bracelet. Optimus was struggling to keep his emotions in check, gazing at the hat and pendant Lightning had passed him. 

"Lightning..." Bismarck whispered as Yamato looked at the very same spot, tears slipping down her face, Musashi holding Yamato's hand tight.  

"Sister..." Essex murmured, exchanging a look of deep sadness with the rest of her sisters.  Enterprise closed her eyes, a few tears falling into the water below her as she bowed her head. Yorktown placed a hand on Enterprise's shoulder, comforting her. 

Then, she spoke, "Lightning may be gone now... but her sacrifice was not and will not be in vain. We have to continue fighting. It's what Lightning would want." All the shipgirls nodded, determination to not let Lightning's death be in vain filling them.

Once they returned to base...

When Enterprise deactivated her wisdom cube, a flapping of wings was heard and she looked up to see Avenger descending, carrying something in his talons. Enterprise reached out and the eagle dropped a small pouch in Enterprise's hand, looking at Enterprise with eyes filled with sadness. He knew. Enterprise picked up the small note on the bag, reading it out loud as the shipgirls and 'bots (in holoforms) gathered around her. 

"Enterprise,

If you are reading this, then it means that I have not returned from the battle. So, these are my last words to the few of you. Inside, there are a few thumb drives. I have labeled them. Pass them to each person. I'm sorry that I can't see you all now.

Lightning"

Enterprise sighed softly, opening the pouch and taking out the thumb drives. "Bismarck, Yamato, Tirpitz and Musashi, My sisters, Enterprise, Yorktown, Optimus, Ratchet, the 'bots." She handed them out and Bismarck's eyes were filled with tears as she received it. Once the shipgirls had left, Enterprise called out to Shokaku, passing her the last thumb drive. "Lightning wanted me to pass you this in private," Enterprise said as Shokaku dipped her head. 

Bismarck was in her room, holding the thumb drive in her hand. She fitted it into her computer and saw there was a single audio file in it. Plugging in her earphones, she pressed 'play'. 

"Bismarck,

You have been the best friend I could ever ask for. You have went through so much with me... I never regretted going up the cliff for the first time, meeting you and opening up to you. You fought alongside me countless times, trained, star-gazed with me. I just... You mean so much to me, Bismarck. You are always here, comforting me when I am down, pulling me up from this dark hole. I... thought there was nothing to live for, but there was only one thing stopping me from leaving this world. You and the rest. I may be gone now, but I have no regrets. I died fighting, protecting those I loved. There is no better or more honourable death I could ask for. I'm so sorry, Bismarck. I'm sorry that I have to leave you like this but... we never seem to have a choice, do we?" At this point, Lightning laughed, a dry, humorless laugh and Bismarck closed her eyes, another tear slipping down her face. "I will miss you Bismarck. And I know that you will miss me. I will be here, although not physically, but always in your heart. Perhaps... there is a way we can meet again one day, but that will be far in the future. Continue fighting. For me. Now, I have one last song to sing for you. Will you... sing with me? You know this song." The music started playing and Lightning started to sing. Bismarck recognised this song. Lightning had played it a few times before. (Bismarck is in bold, Lightning in italics. Bold and italics are the both of them.)