Chapter 41

Lightning sighed. Today, there was going to be a banquet. It was the day that Azur Lane was founded and they would hold a banquet every year. Well, with the threat of the battle looming, this was a good way to wind down a bit. (For all the shipgirls, they are wearing the clothes in their banquet skins) Lightning had already picked out her outfit. A gold dress with orange heels. She was wearing her star-shaped pendant and moonstone bracelet, as per normal. She slowly headed to the main hall, where most of the shipgirls already were, eating and talking. Scanning the crowd, she recognised Yamato and Musashi, immediately heading over to them. 

"Some party, huh?" Lightning smiled slightly, still wearing her mask. The scar had faded, but it was still there. It was just a week, after all. Lightning and Musashi had gotten to know each other well, becoming  good friends, the three of them usually watching the sakura together. Sakura season had started about three days ago. Lightning admired Musashi's quick thinking. She resembled her sister in more ways than one. For example, her bravery, wisdom and sense of calm. However, she was quieter, enjoying serenity more than her sister. 

"Where's Tirpitz?" Lightning asked. They all exchanged a look of slight worry. The German battleship was troubled, having to deal with Bismarck being in a coma as well as manage the whole of Iron Blood. 

"She's... there," Musashi whispered, pointing at where the leaders of the main factions were. They were talking amongst them but Tirpitz looked somewhat distracted, glancing toward the direction of the medical bay ever  so often. Lightning sighed, feeling even guiltier. 

"It's not your fault, Lightning," Yamato spoke, placing a hand on Lightning's shoulder. The carrier just shook her head, lowering her gaze. 

They walked out to one of the balconies. 

"The moon is full tonight and the stars are pretty, as per normal," Lightning spoke, her long hair flowing in the wind. Fortunately, if she let her hair down, it hid the scar on her forehead. Yamato just nodded in agreement. 

Next to her, Musashi sighed, "It's as though there is never-ending conflict. It's just so... why can't every one resolve conflicts and differences?" 

"You know that is not meant to be, sister. the Sirens long for power and warfare, so we have to continue keeping them at bay, whether we like it or not," Yamato murmured. 

Lightning just exhaled softly, "This conflict is tiring. Fighting can never solve everything, it's what we learnt from WWII. Yet, humanity always needs us to fight, whether we want to or not. We just never seem to have a choice, do we?" 

"Indeed," Yamato affirmed, looking back at the moon. 

"I mean...  although we died like... 70 plus years ago, when we were ships. And then, the Sirens came, humans restricted us and here we are today. The same story. Fighting another war, shedding unnecessary blood," Musashi finished. Lightning just bowed her head. 

"Unneeded deaths," she muttered, tears welling in her eyes as she thought of Yorktown and Bismarck.

The next day...

"Anything?" Lightning questioned. She was in the Med Bay and Tirpitz was about to leave. The German just shook her head and Lightning's eyes darkened, that storm of regret raging in her. Sighing softly, Tirpitz nodded at Lightning before leaving. Lightning sat down on Bismarck's bed, looking at the battleship. A few tears slipped down her face as she held the German's hand tight. 

"Bismarck... I miss having you stargazing with me and training with me. You are always here, overcoming all the challenges you face. Can you please overcome this too? I need you to," Lightning murmured, casting another look at Bismarck, staying there for a few minutes before she got up and left.