Chapter 31

Lightning had just finished training, heading back into her room. Just then, she saw that a few of her stories had fallen out of her folder. Picking them up, she sighed softly when she saw the category they were in. 'Operation Crossroads' This was... bittersweet, in the very least. A certain memory made her think so...

Flashback

Lightning was in a particularly bad mood that day and none of the 'bots knew why. She exchanged a glance with the shipgirls when they had entered the base, the four of them bowing their heads for a minute, looking at each other sadly. Yamato knew exactly what this day was, how could any of the shipgirls forget this tragic day? The first of July. Lightning sighed as she walked to a corner of the base with Bismarck, the two of them talking quietly. Flare had called Lightning's name a few times, wanting to ask her something. Lightning, hearing it, unsheathed her katana, spinning around and jumping before kicking her katana, causing it to hit the spot directly next to him. 

"Shut up," she growled as Yamato picked it up, throwing it back to Lightning who caught it, nodding at Yamato ever so slightly. Flare's optics widened when the katana had embedded itself in the wall mere millimeters away from him. The 'bots were all silent, shock in their optics. 

"Just... if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say it," Lightning snapped as anger flashed in her eyes. Bismarck put a hand on Lightning's shoulder, causing the carrier to relax slightly, giving Flare one last glare that scorched him before turning around. 

"They don't know..." Lightning whispered, "What I wrote was true, I guess... humanity thinks that history is unimportant..." Bismarck murmured something to Lightning that the 'bots couldn't quite catch. Lightning's shook her head slightly when she heard it, lowering her gaze. Optimus looked slightly confused, then he checked the date and realised why. Operation Crossroads, one of the main things that could make Lightning this upset. Essex walked over, saying something to Lightning that made her look up. 

"The US Navy had no right to do it! They... they caused so much pain already... The ships had fought for their country, all for what? For their country to betray them," Lightning spat, her voice cracking towards the end as Essex nodded. 

"Their legacy should continue, Lightning, I'm not saying that they had a right... I'm just saying that more people should understand,"  Essex finished, her voice hinting at Lightning, who just sighed, closing her eyes slightly as a tear ran down her face. 

"I... can't... it's too painful..." Lightning choked out, her eyes dull. Essex just averted her gaze, looking pointedly at Lightning's folder, signaling Lightning to do something. 

"Fine... for the lives lost that day... I will show it to them..." Lightning muttered as she picked out a few stories, passing them to the 'bots.

She watched them carefully, observing their reaction. Ratchet vented when he reached the story about Pennsylvania. that was how Lightning knew that this story touched him most. Once the 'bots had finished reading, the mood in the base was very somber. 

Lightning calmed herself before speaking, " The Navy treated them like pieces of metal, mere experiments... but I will not do so... They deserve so much more than that. And the least I can do is to ensure their legacy lives on..." Lightning started sobbing, the tears streaming down her face as Bismarck hugged her tightly. the 'bots nodded when they heard the last sentence. The least they could do was to ensure the legacy of those ships lived on...

End of Flashback

Lightning put the stories back into the folder, sighing before she kept the folder, heading out of the room and into the lab. She had enough of the crystallized mineral to disable the Argenibus. All she had to do now was to expose the Argenibus to the mineral. That should be simple enough, she hoped. Most of the Sirens were out on patrol and Devastator was discussing something with the elite Sirens. Silently, she slipped out of the lab, the crystallized mineral held tightly in her hands. She entered the room where the Sirens were leaving the Argenibus to be refined. 

Although there were no Sirens guarding it, there was a complex laser detector. The laser beams were packed closely together and Lightning would have to avoid them first. She removed her jacket, putting it  at a corner before she weaved past some beams, ducking and twisting, slinking through them with agility. Slowly but surely, Lightning inched closer to the Argenibus, pouring in the crystallized mineral and watching as the Argenibus absorbed it, glowing slightly before returning back to its normal colour. Her job was done here, for now. Slipping through the laser beams once again, she exited the room, putting on her jacket, a small smirk on her face. She had completed it undetected.

Lightning looked out of her open window for a few seconds before calling Avenger, watching as her flapped his wings, descending and landing on Lightning's outstretched arm. Passing him some meat, Lightning smiled when the eagle ate it quickly. Next, she passed him the weekly report and her completed map, signaling him to pass it to Enterprise back in Azur Lane. Stroking him once more, Lightning watched as the eagle took off, flying back to base, the scrolls of paper clamped tightly in his beak.

Lightning smiled slightly. Avenger was so loyal and adorable at the same time. What would she do without him? He was just like Grim. Well, it made sense, considering they were brothers. Enterprise had gifted her Avenger when she became a shipgirl, both he and Grim coming from the same clutch of eggs, they were siblings. They both share some traits, most noticeably their loyalty. Lightning ran a hand through her hair, shaking her head slightly and pushing away her thoughts. She needed to be alert now. There was no time for any distractions. "Storm? Devastator would like you to meet her," A Siren called from outside Lightning's room. Lightning just said she was coming as she closed the window. I hope to see you soon, Azur Lane...

Another chapter officially completed! Time for a short break...

~Lightningstar out