Chapter 2

Lightning panted heavily as she swung her katana, blocking yet another arrow from Enterprise's bow. Exhausted, she let down her guard for a moment, only to have Enterprise shoot an arrow at her, knocking her off her feet. Watching as Lightning got on her feet, Enterprise commanded, 

"Launching and recovery of planes, now." Lightning set her jaw, she had expected Enterprise's training to be hard, after all, this was how she had become a skilled warrior. Her muscles all screaming in protest, she lifted her flight deck and concentrated, focusing on launching the planes. One by one, the F-35's flew off, jolting Lightning slightly by the sheer power used to launch the fighters. Then, drawing a arc in the air, she watched as the planes landed smoothly one by one on the deck. 

Lightning gazed out at the sea, imagining battling out there. It had been a few days since she had come here, yet she missed the 'bots so much. She tried hard not to let it show, concentrated on her training to the point of nearly collapsing due to exhaustion but inside, it was slowly tearing her apart.

Enterprise glanced at Lighting, her violet eyes observing her. Lightning's blue eyes had lost its vibrant hue and sweat was running down the side of her face. 

"Rest now, we'll continue tomorrow." She watched as Lightning glided back to base slowly, devoid of any emotion. She gazed back out at the sea, watching as the sun cast its orange glow on the surface of the shimmering water. 

She's pushing herself too hard, Enterprise thought. She sighed, wondering how she could prepare her well enough if it seemed that she would battle recklessly without any regard for her well-being.

Lightning staggered into her room, flopping down on the bed. After a bath, she was about to leave her room and head to the canteen, but stopped short when she saw a familiar picture lying on her desk. The whole of Team Prime was standing in front of Yorktown(CV-10) at her museum, smiling. Even Ratchet had a rare smile on his face. Running her fingers over the picture, she smiled, tears forming in her eyes. 

Just then, she heard a knock on her door. Wiping away her tears, she refastened her emotionless mask and opened the door, only to see Yorktown. 

"How are you?" Yorktown asked gently, passing her some food. 

"Fine," Lightning muttered, avoiding eye contact. Yorktown just gave her a look that clearly said, You are lying and I know it. 

"I'm just... I miss them so much... I wonder if this, this is the right choice." Tears streamed down her face as she broke down, sobbing. 

Yorktown gently placed one arm around her, comforting her, "It's okay to cry, you know, besides, the 'bots will surely understand." 

Gazing up at her with tears in her eyes, Lightning said, "Are you sure?" 

"I'm sure," Yorktown replied. Lightning was just a young girl. She should not have to carry this burden. 

"Don't worry, Lightning..." Yorktown whispered. It was as though she was just like Enterprise.

A few days later...

Bismarck sat on a grassy plain over a cliff, gazing out at the ocean. It's so beautiful, but... whenever she looked at it, she could not help but smell smoke, see the flames dancing on its surface, hear the roars of guns and the screams of the victims. Pain filled her eyes. Just then, she heard the sound of footsteps. 

"Beautiful, isn't it?" She turned her head to see a girl. Ah, the newbie.  

"Yet, when I look at it, I see death and destruction," they both finished. Bismarck gazed at her in surprise. 

"You lost someone out there?" she questioned. 

"No, I left them behind." Slowly, Lightning started to explain to Bismarck and the battleship listened intently, feeling regret for the girl, yet she did not show it to Lightning. They talked until the stars were twinkling in the sky. 

"Have you ever thought that someone is out there, watching the stars, remembering us?" Lightning whispered as one thought flashed in her head. Optimus... Bismarck was silent for a while. She had been thinking through all that the girl, Lightning, that was her name, had said. 

"Lightning?" Bismarck asked. 

"Sometimes, leaving may be painful, but life goes on. The world continues spinning. Everyday, there is a new opportunity. So take it. You left, seize the new opportunities this provides. Make the most of what you have. No regrets, no pain." 

Lightning nodded, her mask had slipped off long ago. Bismarck... she was one she could trust. Bismarck had been through a lot, and most importantly, she understood, knew what it was like to lose someone. The two of them sat there in blissful silence and it was then that Lightning finally let go, let go of all the sorrow. Tears slipped down her face. 

"No regrets..." she echoed and Bismarck turned to look at her, glad to see that her blue eyes were glowing bright. 

"Good," Bismarck smiled, a small smile, "We need you to be at your best to fight the Sirens."

Lightning just gazed out at the sea, admiring the view. All her pain slipped away and she smiled, the first one since what felt like forever. 

"Bismarck, is this how you learn to be such a good fighter?" she questioned. 

"No," Bismarck replied, "What you do is forget everything, your worries  and fears. Go out there and fight, remind yourself of what you are fighting for. Not just yourself, but for freedom, for those you love. Fight like it is your last battle, you will never know if it is. Do not have any regrets. Just focus on the now, not the past, not the future. Lightning, you have the capability to be an amazing fighter, I know that. All you have to do is to believe in yourself. Train hard, fight hard and one day, your fate will all become clear to you. Do not worry about the future, just let it mark its own path." 

Lightning grasped Bismarck's hand tight. "Thank you," she whispered. Then, she turned, heading back to base with a clearer understanding of her fate and how to live her life. Thank you, Bismarck.

Here you go people! Next chapter. I'm on a roll! :D

~Lightningstar out