Chapter 32

Lightning stiffened as she heard Devastator mention something of a huge scale attack coming soon. A few days had passed since she had disabled the Argenibus and Devastator wanted to attack Azur Lane soon. She was alone in the meeting room with Devastator and she listened intently to what Devastator was saying. 

"What do you think of this, Storm?" Devastator questioned, arching an eyebrow. Lightning's mind kicked into overdrive as she quickly ran through all the possible ways this could go wrong. 

Masking her emotions, she smoothly replied, "Well, if we do attempt such a large scale attack, then Azur Lane would be suspicious as to what we are planning. Besides, we do not need to crush them and suffer heavy losses. The missile can do that for us. All we have to do is to give them a taste of our power for now." Devastator narrowed her eyes slightly when she heard this, contemplating "Storm's" advice. She looked slightly wary, but nodded her head and agreed in the end. Devastator dismissed Lightning and the shipgirl walked out of the room, letting out a breath that she didn't realise she had been holding. She shook her head slightly, calming herself before she strode off, heading back to her room. 

The next day...

"Storm, I would like you to take part in the upcoming attack," Devastator ordered when Lightning entered the room. 

"Very well," Lightning spoke, dipping her head slightly. 

"No... I want you to take part in both attacks," Devastator  concluded after pausing for a moment. A brief look of shock flitted across Lightning's face but she still agreed, internally dreading the day of the attacks. The two attacks were separated by one day. That had been decided by Devastator. 

"You should probably get some training done before the attacks, I expect nothing less than your best," the Siren leader spoke. Lightning just nodded before leaving the room, fear filling her. For the fist time, she was afraid that she would seriously injure someone just to maintain her cover. Lightning sighed as she walked towards the training room, stopping by her own room to pick up her katana and bow. Attaching the katana on her belt, she continued on to the training room, the grip on her bow tightening ever so slightly. 

Lightning's expression was unreadable as she walked, but on the inside, she was terrified. If she messed up... the consequences would be dire. She sighed softly as she recalled what Bismarck had told her shortly before she had left. 

"You will never hurt us, Lightning."  Lightning lowered her gaze. She really hoped Bismarck was right about that. In battle, she felt very insecure. Like she was in control, but the fact that she was rather ruthless, attacking anyone. Her greatest fear was that her wild side would take over and cause her to injure someone close to her. Lightning was too unpredictable in battle, she knew. That would prove to be her greatest strength and weakness. 

She needed to control it, before it was too late. The only way to do that was to have a clear mind during the battle. She hoped that was enough. If not... then Lightning knew she would never forgive herself.

She entered the training room, heading over to the target practice section. Raising her bow, she narrowed her eyes in fierce concentration before firing, the arrow shooting through all ten of the targets lined up, hitting all of them directly in the middle. Lightning smiled slightly. Her aim was still perfect. Twisting around with ease, she angled her bow, shooting arrow after arrow at the targets, watching as they hit their mark. The bullseye. All that training late into the night with Enterprise had obviously paid off. Looking at all her perfect hits, she could not help but be dragged into her memories...

Flashback

Lightning exhaled softly, raising her bow. All the 'bots were staring at her, Bismarck had claimed that Lightning had perfect aim, but of course, some of the 'bots didn't believe her. (*cough* Flare *cough*) Lightning knew that Bismarck was rally trusting her on this one, she could not let the battleship down. Yamato just stood there silently, watching Lightning intently. Lightning had potential, it was obvious, she just needed to see how much the carrier had improved since she arrived at Azur Lane. Lightning closed her eyes briefly, pushing away her thoughts, all her focus on the targets as she drew the bow, the 'bots  watching her every move. 

Lightning blocked everything out, releasing the bowstring, drawing the bow, shooting the arrow. Again and again, spinning, jumping, twisting, her movements fluid and graceful as the arrows streaked through the air, all hitting their mark, perfectly in the middle. Lightning smirked as she turned back, facing the 'bots, glancing at Bismarck briefly with a small nod, that the battleship returned. 

"How..." Blueflash whispered. 

"Practice makes perfect, after all, no one is born like this," she spoke, her gaze drifting to Optimus, her words having a veiled message. 

"It is possible," Lightning said, walking off, leaving the 'bots in a dumbstruck silence. 

End of Flashback

"Anything is possible... you just have to try..." Lightning whispered, her blue eyes bright as she lowered her bow, putting it down and unsheathing her katana. Sidestepping, she jabbed the katana, slashing it through the air as she ducked an imaginary blow, narrowing her eyes. She rolled to the side, slicing the katana hard, seeing the light glinting off the blade's shiny surface. 

Lightning leaped, flipping, dodging, twirling her katana before she raised it, bringing it down hard, jumping out of the way. She battled, her mind formulating possible attacks that would not injure the shipgirls too badly while putting up a decent fight. Sweat ran down her forehead as she continued slashing her katana, watching its sharp point slice through the air as she brought it down, pointing it at the ground, a fire burning in her eyes for a few moments before dying down. She needed to let herself know, convince herself, that she was in control.

Phew, another chapter... that was exhausting...

~Lightningstar out