Chapter 36

Lightning groaned as she opened her eyes slightly, the surroundings coming into focus. She could feel the cold metal chains digging into her skin, rubbing it raw. The Sirens had given them food, only to sustain them until they got whatever information they needed. She sighed. Azur Lane did not know where they were. She had not managed to retrieve the coordinates in time before her cover was blown. If they wanted to get out of this alive, they had to do it themselves. The question was, how? Lightning lowered her gaze, feeling a wave of guilt wash over her. This was all her fault. She should have never trusted Devastator. It was her fault that Yamato and Bismarck were here. How long had it been? Two days? She couldn't really tell. Lightning raised her head, looking at Yamato and Bismarck. They were both awake, but made no movements, saving whatever strength they had. 

"Devastator," Bismarck spat as Lightning turned her head to see the Siren walking into the room and her eyes narrowed. 

"So... anything to tell me yet?" Devastator questioned. 

"No, we'll never tell you anything!" Lightning hissed. 

"We shall see," Devastator smirked as she took out a knife, its sharp point gleaming in the dim light. 

"Let's begin, shall we?" Lightning just closed her eyes, feeling pain shoot up her body as Devastator sliced and cut her skin. She could feel the blood dripping out slowly and when she opened her eyes, her surroundings were hazy. Devastator just sighed when she saw that Lightning did not respond, moving on the Yamato who completely ignored the Siren, wincing once or twice at the pain. Lightning closed her eyes, the exhaustion from the past few days catching up to her her world turned black.

"What is the necklace actually for?" Lightning questioned, gazing up at Yorktown. 

"It is actually intended to be used until you have gotten the hang of activating your  wisdom cube. Now that you have mastered that then... I guess you can do anything with it," Yorktown replied, referring to Lightning's lightning bolt necklace. 

"However, I hope you keep it. It can serve as a good reminder of you past." Lightning just nodded, placing the necklace in her drawer, smiling slightly.

The image changed... Lightning  raised her bow, firing an arrow and watching as it transformed into a plane. For a few moments, she stared at it in awe. 

"You can never get used to seeing such an amazing thing, huh?" Yorktown spoke, smiling. 

Lightning nodded before speaking, "Mhm, its just like how I can never get tired of watching the 'bots transform. Watching all the gears and components move into place." "Indeed, however, this only reminds us how powerful we are, and how this power should be used for good, not evil. This power that we possess is great, we have to make sure we use it properly," Yorktown finished, her tone serious. Lightning nodded in acknowledgement.

Once again, the memory changed. Lightning  buried her face in her hands, sobbing softly. She just missed the 'bots so much... And all those judgmental stares, some even accusing, it made this place feel cold although Bismarck and the others provided warmth. Someone entered the room, closing the door softly behind her. 

"It's alright to cry, Lightning," the person whispered. Yorktown, Lightning realised. 

"It's just... I miss them so much... and... and these shipgirls, the way they look at me, it's just so..." Lightning trailed off, another tear slipping down her face. 

"Just prove your worth, Lightning, isn't that why you are here? You are stronger than you think, Lightning, you know it, you just have to believe..." Yorktown comforted the carrier. Lightning just shook her head slightly, but she felt determination building up in her. She would prove herself, she knew it.

Another memory... Lightning was at the  top of the cliff, crying. The tears ran down her face as she sobbed. The comforting presence... it was gone. Yorktown was gone, never to return. She had always comforted Lightning when she was down, pulled Lightning back up. But now, she had to face these challenges without Yorktown. She was scared. Of what the future would bring. Yorktown had always brought warmth, hope to the distressed carrier. But now...This impacted her greatly.

The Lightning now, a master of trickery and lies, keeping that impassive face on, her eyes cold and guarded, her heart hardened. The walls in her mind so strong and solid, seldom crumbling. He will was strong, not to be bent, broken or suppressed. And her thoughts and feeling, hidden deep within, heavily guarded. Her trust, hard to earn. She was scarred, both mentally and physically. Yet every time a new scar appears, she hides herself further. 

That carefree girl was long gone, replaced by a cold and indifferent one, hardened by the winds of change, she had changed so much. Her feelings hardly ever surfaced now, her answers and responses heavily guarded. Her thoughts ran through her mind at the speed of light, calculating her net plan, next move, next answer. Everything a detailed, organised plan, letting nothing slip through, few disturbances. Lightning was so different, made the person she is now by all the hardships, suffering and challenges in her life. Every hurdle she crosses, presents a new solution, a new characteristic. 

Crafty, sly and intelligent, she should be able to weave her way out of almost everything. And now, she is captured alongside her two friends. Another plan is formulating in her mind. She knows that this is her fault, so she closes most of the doors, very distrustful. She always needed to be three steps ahead. Lightning... is... her fighting spirit is strong, but something inside her is shattered, never whole. She has learnt to live with it, she has learnt to live with all the pain and agony. Everything she does is thought out, so cautious. Never let anyone new in. A lesson learnt from mistakes. She would not want to live, but she does not want to die a coward's death. If she dies, it will be on the battlefield, she knows. And she will only stop when she dies.

Another chapter done. Hooray! Time to take a break... see you on the next chapter!

~Lightningstar out