t w e n t y e i g h t

later, before it turned dark, and before Randall's inevitable fate, Daryl and Dallas sat by the fire alone. they were at Daryls makeshift camp.

"is it the right thing to do?" Dallas asked him. Daryl looked up from the flames to him. they were sitting side by side once again, this time on the log. "killing him?"

"he's a threat," Daryl softly reminded him. "he's got thirty men who aren't too friendly."

"i know," he sighed, staring back to the fire. Daryl kept his gaze on him. "Tyler looked so disappointed in me."

"i saw," Daryl responded, sparking his last cigarette.

"i guess i just wish we could think of another solution. i understand why we have to kill him, but he's just a kid. he's like, Tyler's age."

Daryl nodded at him, listening carefully as he spoke.

"i've never seen anybody die before," he spoke. "i feel horrible for Tyler for have being there with our mom. but i'm almost glad it was him and not me."

he turned his head as he heard somebody approaching. it was Rick. he singled for them to come over and follow him.

that meant it was time to kill Randall.

Shane, Rick, Daryl, and Dallas all walked together. Daryl had a grip on Randalls arm, shoving him forward with the group.

Rick opened the barn doors, and Daryl shoved the boy inside. Dallas followed behind Shane, stepping inside.

"hey hey-" Randall spoke as Shane grabbed him. he wrapped a cloth around his eyes.

"it'll be over soon," Shane told him as he did so.

"what's going to be over soon?" Randall asked, his breathing quickening. "hey- no! no-"

he started to cry when he heard the sound of Rick pulling his gun out.

"would you like to stand or kneel?" Rick asked, completely monotone and face unreadable.

"no, no, please- ah-" he cried out when Daryl roughly shoved him to his knees. Rick looked to Shane, who gave him a small nod.

Shane looked to Dallas and Daryl. Dallas just looked at Randall with no reaction.

"do you have any final words?" Rick questioned, looking down at him. Randall still cried, head looking down at the ground.

"please, please don't," he cried. Rick lifted the gun to his head, and cocked it. he started to cry harder, and Dallas felt a slightly unpleasant feeling start to grow in his stomach.

Daryl looked to him, but Dallas kept his eyes on Randall. there was a thick silence in the air, everyone awaiting for the gunshot to break it. only, it didn't come.

instead, the sound of footsteps approaching filled its place. at first, Dallas and Daryl were the only ones who turned to look.

"do it, dad," Carl's voice spoke up. Rick looked up, finally breaking his stare at the boy. Shane looked at Rick, then back to Carl. "do it."

"what did i say? what did i say?" Shane walked over to him, dragging him out of the barn. Rick looked between Randall and the doorway.

"take him away," Rick spoke, looking to Dallas.

Shane looked up from Carl, shock clear on his face. Daryl nodded, and hauled him up by the shirt. Dallas followed close behind.

Shane angrily slammed the other barn door open, and walked outside. Rick looked to Carl as everyone else left.