e i g h t e e n

Dallas helped Carol set the table, setting down plates and food. soon everyone started to come into the dining room, taking a seat at the various chairs. there were two tables, one with Glenn, Maggie, Beth, and Jimmy. everyone else sat at the bigger table.

it was awkward, silent as everyone ate. only Glenn broke the silence.

"does anybody know how to play the guitar?" Glenn asked, turning to the bigger table with a smile. "Dale found a cool one. some one here has to know how to play."

"Otis did," Patricia spoke quietly. Shane looked down.

"yeah. and he was very good," Hershel told her.

the dinner was mostly quiet after that, until Dallas offered to bring Daryl some food. he stood, and took his own cleared plate into the kitchen. he grabbed other, and a glass for wine.

when he walked into the room, Daryl turned to see who it was. he pulled the covers up over his bandage.

"how are you feeling?" he asked. Daryl turned back to face him.

"about as good as i look," he mumbled, turning back over.

"brought you some dinner," he told him with a smile. "you must be starving."

"nah," he responded, back turned to Dallas.

"you haven't eaten anything since you got back," he spoke, pulling a chair and sitting down. Daryl turned his head back towards him. "so even if you don't feel hungry, you need to eat something so your body doesn't feel like shit tomorrow."

Daryl hesitated, but slowly sat up. he reached for the plate, not acknowledging the silverware.  he ate with his fingers, and the moment that the first bit touched his mouth, he knew the plate would be finished.

"Carol's a great cook," Dallas spoke, leaning his head against his fist. "it's nice to have seasoning again, rather than just plain cooked food."

Daryl looked over at him, but said nothing.

"did you know Carol and Sophia? before all of this?" Dallas asked him. Daryl shook his head.

"no. we met at our old camp," he told him, continuing to eat the last of what was on his plate.

"that was really sweet of you. with the rose," Dallas spoke, glancing at the door and then back at him. "she really needed that."

Daryl nodded slightly, and set the plate down.

"you want anything else?" he asked, standing up and hanging him the glass of wine. he downed it in a few sips, and shook his head.

Dallas turned to walk out, when Daryl spoke again.

"thanks," his eyes flickered from Dallas to the chair. Dallas gave him a nod and a smile.

"anytime."

the next morning, Dallas woke late. he'd estimate it was around ten am. he yawned, and started to put his shoes on after throwing off his covers.

"you're trying to buy my silence with fruit?" he heard Glenn speak. he perked up, leaning closer to the tent wall to listen.

"of course not. there's also jerky." that was Maggie.

"can you please tell me why your dad has a secret barn full of walkers? its creepy-"

"shh," Maggie tried to hush him into whispering.

"you know that, right?"

"just trust me on this, okay?"

"i suck at lying. i can't even play poker, it's too much like lying-"