f o u r t e e n

not only did Dallas' head feel light, it was now throbbing with a painful headache. his stomach ached, and he tried hard to focus in driving. beside him, his brother stared out of the window as they drove away from the farm.

"it feels weird to be in a car again," Tyler remarked. "especially with no other people driving."

"this will make it easier to teach you," Dallas responded. "you were shit before."

"hey, at least i didn't wreck dads car while trying to go out to a party i wasn't supposed to," Tyler spoke, turning to look at Dallas with a smile.

"he was so mad," he laughed, cringing at the pain that shot up the back of his head as he did so. he tried to be as subtle as possible about this.

"he told you that you'd never be aloud to drive again," his brother recalled. Dallas nodded, smiling at the memory. this was the first time Tyler had brought up anything about him since he had passed that night.

"if you had done that though, you'd have just been let off with a warning," he told Tyler. "you were his favorite."

"i definitely was," he responded, a cheeky smile crossing his face. a few moments of silence later, and his expression fell. "i miss him."

"i know," Dallas took a turn into the driveway of the cabin. he leaned back, not yet reaching to leave. "mom does too."

"don't you?" he asked. Dallas shrugged, and looked out of the window. he glanced at the trees, watching the branches sway in the warm breeze.

"i suppose," he lied, and turned back to his brother. "dad and i weren't as close as you and him were though. but i guess i miss him sometimes."

with that, he opened the door, and stepped out. Tyler followed, walking up the steps and opening the door immediately. Dallas had to lean against the rail for a moment, his head almost unbearable.

"you coming?" Tyler called out. he stood up again, and instantly regretted it.

"can you get everything by yourself?" he shouted back. he looked through the doorway at his brother, who appeared out of the kitchen.

"are you okay? you look really pale," his brother worried, walked back to the door. Dallas nodded, and turned back to the car. "Dallas, are you okay?"

he could see the edge of his vision quickly blackening. he stumbled forward, and could feel himself falling. he was out before he even hit the ground.

when Dallas came to, he was in the truck. he turned his head to the drivers seat, watching as his brother closed his door. he blinked several times before sitting up completely. he still had a headache, but it was less pounding than before.

"you're up," his brother stated as he started to rub his eyes. "you were only out for around a few minutes. two probably. are you feeling okay now?"

"my head," he mentioned. "it's better now, but holy shit it hurt so bad."

"we need to get you back to Hershel," his brother placed the keys in, and turned them.

"wait, you need to grab the food," he told him, reaching forward and swatting his hand away. "not to mention, you are not driving. i just need a minute."

"you sure?" he asked, reaching for the door handle. Dallas nodded, and closed his eyes. "i'll bring you some water."

he headed back inside, and Dallas scooted over to the drivers side. he felt himself grown internally when he saw a roamer make its way to the car. it staggered, pace uneven as it tried its hardest to reach him.