t w e n t y

during breakfast the next morning, Glenn was quiet. he looked nervous, glancing around the group and back to the barn. he occasionally would look at Maggie, who stood on the porch.

Tyler was inside eating with his mother, while Dallas had been sitting alone, until Daryl plopped next to him. they ate side by side, starting a few conversations here and there.

it was warmer that morning than it had been previously. the food on his plate tasted amazing, and he was thankful for having it rather than just canned beans and some over-cooked meat. Lori and Carol had made eggs and sausage that morning.

he saw as Dale gave Glenn a slight nod. Glenn looked even more nervous than before as he stood up.

"uh, guys," he started, rubbing his hand against his chin before dropping both arms back to his sides. Daryl looked up from eating, as did Lori. "so-"

he hesitated, his hands moving around as he spoke. he shifted his feet and looked to Rick.

"the barns full of walkers," he finally said. to this, everybody looked up at him. Daryl blinked in confusion.

not even ten minutes later, everybody stood by the barn. Shane stared inside, a pissed off look on his face as he started to walk back to the group.

"you can't tell me you're alright with this," he spat at Rick as he walked by. he was angry.

"no i am not," Rick spoke. "but we're guests here. this isn't our land."

Andrea crossed her arms, and Glenn has his hands on his hips. Lori had her arm around Carl's shoulders, keeping him close.

"god, this is our lives man!" Shane yelled.

"lower your voice-" Glenn turned to him. Shane looked back at him, a pissed expression telling him to keep quiet.

"we can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea agreed, looking to Rick.

"it ain't right," T-Dog spoke up as well. Shane started to pace.

"we either gotta go in there, and make things right, or we just gotta go," Shane told Rick. "we've been talking about Fort Benning-"

"we can't go," Rick cut him off.

"why, Rick? why?" he shot back, placing his hat back on his head. Dallas watched the two quarrel, stepping every so slightly closer to Daryl.

"because my daughter is still out there," Carol spoke up. her face wasn't pained as it usually had been when she spoke of Sophia.

"oh-" he chuckled and put his face in his hands as he looked at the woman. "i think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility-"

"Shane, we aren't leaving Sophia behind," Rick told him sternly. Daryl stepped away, anger written on his face.

"we're close to finding this girl. i just found her damn doll a few days ago-" Daryl started, stepping closer to Shane.

"you found her doll, Daryl. that's what you did, you found a doll," he snapped back.

"you don't know what the hell you're talking about," Daryl yelled. he stepped closer and Rick put an arm out to stop him from approaching Shane any further.

"hey look i'm just saying what's needing to be said here!" Shane yelled back. "now you get good lead in the first forty-eight hours and we'll talk-"

"Shane, stop," Rick put his hand out as he spoke calmly, but Shane kept going.

"and let me tell you something else man, if she was alive out there and she saw you coming, all methed out with your walker ears around your neck, she'd run in the opposite direction, man-"

Daryl started to yell, leaping forwards at Shane. Rick grabbed him and pulled him back. he moved around him, and Dallas stepped in. he looped an arm around the mans waist, pulling him back harshly. he would have let the two fight, but Rick seemed admit on trying to keep as much peace as possible.

"i will beat your ass if you come at me again-" Shane yelled at him, being held back by both Rick and Glenn. Daryl relaxed against Dallas, no longer trying to get out of his grip. Dallas let him go, but Daryl didn't move right away. he stood in front of him, back touching Dallas' chest.

"keep your hands off me," Shane pointed at Lori and walked off after giving her a glare. she stared after him like she had just been smacked in the face.

"just let me talk to Hershel," Rick said. Shane turned around and started to walk back once again. "just let me figure it out-"

"and what are you going to figure out?" he practically screamed, spit flying from his mouth. Dallas hadn't seen him this angry yet; and it was sort of scary.

"if we're gonna stay, we're going to clear this barn, i have to talk him into it. this is his land," Rick tried to explain.

"Hershel sees those things in there as people. sick people. his wife, his step son-"

"you knew?" Rick looked at Dale with shock.

"yesterday. i talked to Hershel."

"and you waited until now," Shane stared at Dale with anger. Dallas decided not to express that he had also known.

"i thought we survive one more night," he defended. "we did. i was waiting until this morning to say something, but Glenn wanted to be the one."

"man is crazy. man, if Hershel thinks things are alive-"

"calm do-"

"no!" Shane yelled at Rick. his face was red at this point.

the barn doors suddenly started to move, groaning sounds from inside picking up in volume. everybody turned and watched as fingers slid through the door, attempting to get out. Dallas hoped that the doors were strong enough.

Shane refused to leave the barn at first. he stood by it, pacing and testing how strong the doors and locks were.

Dallas watched Daryl stalk off to the horses, still angered over Shane's words. Dallas followed close behind.

"you can't go out there," he spoke once he saw Daryl grabbing things to prepare one of the horses.

"i'm fine," he grumbled, not looking at him.

"Hershel said you need to heal," he countered.

"yeah, well, i don't care," was his response.

"well i do. Carol does too," Dallas spoke, eyes watching him intently. "Ricks going out later to follow the trail."

"yeah, well i ain't gonna sit around and do nothin," he replied, opening one of the horse gates and stepping in.

"so you're gonna go out there and get yourself hurt even worse?" Dallas asked. Daryl ignored his question. "Carol- she doesn't even know if we'll find her."

this got his attention. he turned around, and slowly walked closer to him.

"what?"

"she said she doesn't want to lose you too," he told him. "and i don't want to lose you either."

he glared at him for a moment, before turning to walk off. he froze, and in anger, threw the heavy saddle to the floor. he instantly was bent over in pain, arm clutching onto his side. Dallas reached forward, placing a hand on his back.

"Daryl-"

"leave me be!" he yelled, shoving away his hand. he walked off, muttering a swear under his breath as he did so.