Chapter 25: Look who decided to join the party

CHAPTER 25

There were several moments in Angela's life when she thanked whoever was up there for blessing her with Alex. She couldn't count how many times the boy had helped her.

There was that time she was bombarded with questioning by an old business partner of her dads', the fella wanting to draw up another contract despite her dad's lackluster response. He saw her as an avenue to get closer to the Hudgeman Corporation, cornering her and prying answers from her about the company's current board of directors. Alex had been the one to cut the conversation short, the 8 year old heir leading her away because 'her dad wanted to see her'.

There was also that time Angela almost got in trouble for knocking over an expensive vase her mother had recently bought in New Zealand when she was 6. Alex took responsibility for it, lying and saying that he kicked his ball too hard, the vase smashing in the process. Her mother let it go easily, understanding that they were young and probably got carried away playing.

Not to mention, Alex had been the one to find out her location during the incident. He was only 12, but his quick thinking and memory served him well. Angela owed a lot to him.

Especially at this very moment, when the teen crouched by her, azure eyes shining brightly in the darkness, a comforting and teasing smile tugging on his lips, a great contrast from the tenseness of his body.

"Found ya," He whispered.

Angela couldn't answer him. Not now. The effects of the drug was hitting her at full force, the repercussions of spending that energy earlier weighing her entire body down. She could only try to look grateful. Alex seemed to catch on quickly. He ignored the approaching footsteps, instead opting to take a quick lookover his client. Once he had sufficiently determined that she wasn't injured, he lifted his hand to her forehead, pressing against the sweaty surface.

Fever, breathing hard, flushed, excessive fatigue. Alex listed in his mind as he let his eyes examine the teen.

"Drug?" His voice came out barely audible.

Angela tried desperately to move her head to nod, but all she managed to do was a slight movement, barely visible if Alex wasn't searching for it. His eyes narrowed, anger filling them. He made a gesture, commanding her to stay where she was. Angela couldn't roll her eyes even if she wanted to. I can't really go anywhere can I?

Alex's whole demeanour changed, stance poised, muscles tense. He fell into a form, crouching low as he made his way around the tree, the ground under him giving nothing away. Angela's eyes widened. She's never seen him like this. Brows knitted in concentration, face completely void from any expression, aura deadly.

Alex rounded the tree, steps light and muted, not a sound coming from the leaves he was stepping on. The two targets he assumed were the captors were visible from where he was, their flashlights giving away their positions. He scanned their appearances, searching for any weapons on them. The leaner guy had a knife in his grasp, blade glinting in the darkness of the surrounding, but he didn't look like he had anything else on him. The burly man on the other hand held a gun in his hand, flashlight right beside it. He clearly knew how to handle his guns well, eyes focused. This man had done this before, experience oozing from him judging by the way he seemed calm despite losing his target.

That's gonna be troublesome. Alex knew his first course of action. He grasped around for a rock, finding a small light one that would do just the trick. He drew closer to the two figures, careful to keep out of the range of their flashlights. Using the cover of the night and trees, he hid behind one that was almost directly in front of them. Alex threw the small rock far in the direction the burly man was headed. The two of them stopped, exchanged glances and finally, they moved, splitting up. Alex smirked.