Chapter 16: Just another business transaction

Please read Author's Note at the very end for a very important update. Thank you! 

CHAPTER 16

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. This can't be happening.

Angela understood her parent's concern for her back then, assigning guard after guard to be around her. Right now, the last thing Angela ever wanted was another one. She had enough of it already. But this was taking it to a whole new level of unbelievable.

Her own friend? As a bodyguard?

"Hell no, I refuse," Angela glared at Alex with all her might.

"You don't have a say in this, Angie," Alex knew it was a touchy subject, but there was no helping it. "Orders are orders, I'm your new bodyguard and unless your father deems it safe, I'm not leaving your side."

"When have I ever had a say in anything concerning my own safety? It's always been 'whatever's best for me'. I'm calling dad," She instantly pulled out her phone from her pocket, intent on questioning her father.

He couldn't do this to her again! Angela's blood boiled at the thought of her father sheltering her once more. She understood the safety measures he took back then, but this came out of nowhere! And using her own friend to guard her? She knows exactly how hard it is to be a bodyguard, literally a human shield for another life. She couldn't put her friend through that.

Before she could unlock her phone however, a hand reached out, effectively pulling the phone away from her grasps, so fast she almost couldn't see it.

"What the hell do you think-"

"Don't even think about it," Alex's steely tone was enough to cut her off. His entire demeanor changed. Gone was the friendly, happy-go-lucky friend that Angela was familiar with. The Alex she was seeing was entirely different. Cold, distant, emotionless. This was Alexander Lockhart, the agent.

"I'm not letting you jeopardize my mission when it barely even started. I can tell you what I know, though I doubt it would be of much use to you, but this remains between the both of us, got it?" Alex asked in a no nonsense tone.

"And what if I say no?" Angela defied.

Alex smirked. "You're welcome to try, Angie. I'll have you warned though, I haven't failed a mission for the past 3 years, and I don't intend on failing anytime soon."

Azure met brown. They held each other's heated gaze, both refusing to back down. Alex knew that he kinda already failed his mission, since he was technically supposed to be undercover, but that didn't stop him from holding his ground. Angela slowly relaxed, understanding that she might as well get the information out of him first. Before I call dad later and ask him what the hell he's thinking.

"...I'll listen. But I'll be the judge of whether I need to call my father after what you've said," Angela finally conceded. Alex nodded in agreement.

"Deal. But not here, after school."

"My place or yours?" Angela asked. Alex's face suddenly split into a wide dimpled smile.

"Wherever you want to do it, baby," Alex teased, leaning closer in to Angela.

Angela shoved his face away, rolling her eyes as she fought a smile making its way to her lips. "Mine. C'mon, break's ending." She stood up, already making her way back to the building.

"Aww, Angie, why you gotta be so rude! Don't you know I'm human too?" Alex followed after her, singing out loud.

"Oh my god, stop!" Angela said in mock frustration, covering her ears.