Chapter 23: For the record, my eyes are up here

CHAPTER 23

Angela was well aware of how strong her mother was. She once saw her carry a 52kg Tibetan Mastiff dog because she was worried it was going to run over one of the little kids during one of Angela's birthday parties. Her mother had a smile the whole time, even as the dog wiggled in her grasp, trying to lick her face. She showed no signs of strain. Yeah, that was a sight to see. Unfortunately, this memory completely slipped her mind when she allowed herself to be embraced by the petite woman.

"Mom- air! Air!" Angela wheezed, tapping desperately on her mother's shoulder, hoping and praying she would get the signal.

Luckily for Angela's lungs, she did. Giselle released Angela with a smile and gushed, "My baby! Look at you, so pretty and dolled up! I'm so glad you chose this dress."

Angela resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Mom, you literally gave me every colour under the rainbow except black or white," She said in exasperation.

"That's not true. What about that one cream lace off the shoulder one? That's fitting!" Giselle pouted.

"Yeah, fitting for a wedding. I'm not getting married, mom," Angela sighed, pushing back the thought of a certain brown haired heir.

"Yet," A soft voice spoke, barely a whisper. Angela looked at her father unamused. "Come here, my little munchkin," A radiant smile plastered on his face, arms open to her.

"Hi, dad," Angela smiled as she hugged her father, careful not to put her face too close to his white shirt, aware of the makeup. She took in a deep breath, the familiar smell of her father's cologne filling her nostrils, woody and slightly spicy. This was home to her, close to her parents. As she let go, Angela could see a ray of emotions filling her parents' eyes, all flashing for mere seconds before being replaced by another. Before she got a chance to say anything, her attention was diverted to their company.

"Angie, honey, what a fine woman you've grown into," Natasha spoke up, facial features soft.

Angela smiled and kissed her on both cheeks, "Aunt Nat, it's nice to see you again."

"You sure do know how to make one hell of an entrance kiddo," Victor grinned, fist balled up and extended towards her. Angela gladly returned his fist bump.

"I learnt from the best," She gave him a toothy smile. Angela turned to her best friend next, raising a brow. "What's up? Cat got your tongue?"

Alex shook his head in amusement. "You look like a million dollars, Angie."

"Damn," Angela pouted, "I was going for a billion dollars."

That brought fits of laughter from the people around her.

"Thousand apologies, mistress, I meant a billion dollars," Alex made a big show of bowing to her. As soon as he straightened up though, Angela gave him a side hug, smiles on both of their faces. "You should probably introduce yourself to the Huxx's. I'll be around." I'll keep my eyes on you.

Zachariah extended both of his elbows, "Shall we, my beautiful ladies?"

Angela merely giggled at her father's antics and took his left, while her mother took his right. Yeah, she missed this.

---

Kyle prided in himself for being able to control his emotions and facial expressions. He had attended many social gatherings and parties to be acquainted with the fake fronts that everyone puts up to gain favour with potential investors or just to form connections. He knew how to smile at people, make them believe he was genuinely listening to the proposition, or even seem interested in their grandmother's collection of carpets from all over the world.