Chapter 18: He left me on read, that asshole

CHAPTER 18

Angela: heyy you aight?

Kyle: read

Angela: just wanted to check up on ya, you didn't seem good jn

Kyle: read

Angela: dude, I see you

Angela: don't be acting like you haven't seen my messages

Angela: ...

Angela: wow, you won't even read them now?

Angela: fine.

---

"The school will be conducting the semestral physical examination tomorrow. All students, please proceed to the main hall for your check up. I repeat, the school will be conducting-"

"What's that about?" Alex asked as he shoved his books in his bag, listening to the announcement.

Angela scrunched her nose up. "The school conducts these physical check ups, health examination things, just like any other school," She explained, taking her time as she packed up. It was a lazy Thursday, the week was almost coming to an end making her even more lethargic. "Every end of the semester they'll have one."

Alex hummed, sitting on his table as he waited for the girl to finish up. "But doesn't everyone have their own private doctor? Someone on call at least?"

"Yeah, of course. But even though this is a school, it's also business, isn't it?" Angela yawned. "The mood of the students matter as well. It's just a formality Mrs Brook put in place."

"Blegh, everything's always about business. Damn these rich people."

"That's ironic coming from you," Angela smirked, finally walking out of the class with him. "But I don't mind it that much. The doctors coming are from my dad's family hospital. Y'know, the one that treated me?"

Alex froze. "Ah, really?" The memory of Angela lying on the hospital bed flashed before his eyes before he shook his head, dispelling it immediately.

"Yeah, it's good business, and besides, Mrs Brook was sworn to secrecy along with a selected few of those doctors about," Angela gestured at her getup, "this. So it's the safest option. I won't be with everyone else anyways."

Alex blinked. "So where will you go then?"

"Separate clinic. Probably the one in the south wing. It's the furthest from the halls the announcement mentioned," She lifted her head in thought. "We'll be separated, I guess."

"I don't like the sound of that," Alex frowned. After the stalking incident, the agent had made it a point to stay close to Angela, keeping an eye out for any weird behaviours around her. Though there wasn't much activity worth noting, he couldn't slack off.

"Please, we're on school grounds. And I'll be out of everyone's sight before anyone notices," Angela said, dropping her voice to a whisper, "and besides, no one can break into this place without getting past security first."

It was clear she was hinting about the person who'd been tailing them. Hartex had been running the description Alex had given HQ over and over, investigating all the residents, but even when their backgrounds were checked, there was nothing. It was frustrating, even more so for Alex, having been assigned to protect her yet struggling to even find the person.

Hacking into the CCTVs was another thing. While there were many situated all around, none had actually managed to capture the culprit's face. It was like the person knew exactly where each camera was pointing at, avoiding every single one of them, head low and jacket zipped up all the way, hiding the bottom half of his face while his hair laid flat on his forehead. It was not a good sign. It definitely means that the suspect had familiarised himself with the area.