Chapter 15: For now, he'd observe

CHAPTER 15

Alex held her small hands tightly with both of his hands. He made sure not to make any sudden movements, afraid of jostling the IV drip needle in Angela's arm. The young boy tried to ignore the raw skin exposed around her wrists, choosing to keep his eyes on the girl in front of him. Angela didn't meet his eyes. She couldn't. Not after what she heard.

"I'm sorry Angie," Alex said once more, sounding even sadder than before. He didn't want to leave her, especially not right now, after what Angela's been through. It was the worst timing ever. But duty called, and he couldn't escape it.

Angela silently kept her eyes on the window. The only indication that she was affected by Alex's news was the trembling of her other hand, balled up into a tiny fist. She wanted, no, needed Alex by her side. She didn't want to be left alone. Not right now.

"Angie, please, talk to me," Alex pleaded, tightening his hold on Angela's just a little.

Angela finally spoke up. "Why did you agree?"

"I didn't have a choice, and it's my dad's business. I'm gonna have to take over it y'know? Dad said it's the perfect age to start grooming me to be his successor."

"You're only 12, Alex. Can't he just wait a year?"

"I still need to train and work my way up the chain. Better start early, according to him."

There was a knock on the door.

"Mr Lockhart, the car has arrived," One of the guards announced from the other side.

"Yeah, okay, gimme a minute," Alex replied with frustration.

"But, Alex," Angela faced Alex, squeezing his hand, "I need you here with me."

Alex ducked his head, frowning even more. He couldn't say anything to that. He knew that Angela needed him there, and he wanted to stay with her more than ever. The sight of his precious friend laying on the hospital bed had brought sickening thoughts in his head and he wanted nothing more than to be the comfort she needed him to be. But he couldn't. He had to go already.

Sensing Alex's internal turmoil, the heiress pursed her lips. She didn't want to be left alone after... Angela shivered at the thought of last week's occurrence. She gulped, willing away the growing sense of dread once again.

The knock on the door came again.

"Sir, the car is holding up the line, we need to-"

"Yes, I know, just give me a minute!" Alex's tone was even more frustrated. He sighed.

Angela glanced at her childhood friend. She couldn't do this to him. She was holding him back, and she knew it. It was his duty, and soon she would have duties of her own to take up as an heiress.

"... yeah, okay I understand," She finally said.

Alex's head shot back up. "What?"

Angela gave Alex's hand a squeeze. "I said, go ahead. Don't get your ass beat in Japan." She gave him a small smile.

That was enough reassurance for Alex. "I won't," He said, eyes all fired up.

"Get out of here, and call Marcus in while you're out," She said dismissively, waving her hand at him.

"Hey," Alex took her hands in his, "we'll see each other soon okay?"

The two stared at each other, forgetting about everything else going on outside of the hospital room. This was between them, and Angela could tell there was an underlying promise in his sentence. And it was a known fact that Alex always kept his promise. Angela smiled sadly, hot tears welling in her eyes.