Chapter 24: Hope I'm not ruining anything for ya

CHAPTER 24

"She's so pretty, like, I'm not even kidding, her dress is to die for!" Britney said, hands clenched together in admiration.

Kyle offered a slight nod of his head, slowly drifting away from the conversation with the redhead. She somehow found him amongst the crowd whilst mingling and clung to him since. He would much rather be beside a certain brunette, who also happened to be the subject of Britney's interest at the moment.

"You know her don't you?" Britney queried, searching his expression. She'd seen the interaction, everyone had seen it in fact. No one had known the Hudgemans and Hawks were friends, well acquainted at that. It came as a surprise when she'd seen Kyle kiss the heiress on both cheeks, but Britney assumed it was formality.

"Yes," Kyle answered, not caring to elaborate.

Britney huffed, "You could try to explain you know? Where did you meet her? When? And are you close to her?" The last question came out more timid than she hoped for. She couldn't help it. If Kyle and the Hudgeman heiress were close, there was no way Britney could hold a candle to her. She wouldn't even compare.

"Britney," Kyle faced her finally, stiff as a board, "I don't think it concerns you as to how we got acquainted with each other."

The matter seemed closed off to her. Britney deflated. Was her chance of being with Kyle ruined? Sure, she was after his family's money and reputation, but in the world she lived in, it was all that mattered these days. Who you know, how many people you know, and how deep that friendship goes.

Seeing Britney's frown, Kyle let out a breath. It was never his intention to be mean towards the redhead. He knew exactly why she was prying. She just saw it as another means of connection, a new ally if possible. Kyle couldn't help the barely audible snort from escaping his lips. If Britney knew she was bullying that same person, she would probably drop to her knees immediately.

"Our parents met," Kyle answered quietly, catching the girl's attention. "We happened to meet each other in a business meeting. That's all."

Britney looked at him in surprise. "Just a business meeting? By the looks of it, it seemed like you guys hang out regularly."

Kyle raised a brow. "What makes you say that?"

Britney shifted her weight to another leg, pondering while she replied, "Well, the kiss on the cheek was one, but that's just a greeting. It's your smile that gave it away."

It was Kyle's turn to be surprised. "What do you mean?"

"You smiled at her the same way you smile at Chase and Charles when you're joking around," She said softly, eyes drifting away from the teen, staring into the crowd. She was well acquainted with that carefree joking smile that Kyle showed his friends, how his shoulders relaxed and his posture slipped ever so slightly. She's noticed all of these little habits and actions because she's never been on the receiving end of it, only looking at it from afar. "You looked like you really enjoyed talking to her."

Kyle couldn't help tensing up. He'd been smiling? "T-that's because her parents were there," He said lamely.

Britney gave him a look that clearly said she didn't believe him. "Why are you so defensive about being friends with her? It's not like I'll do anything anyways," Britney crossed her arms, the movement of the dress reflecting beautiful sparkles, catching the light.

Kyle found himself openly staring at the redhead in confusion. It was rare for her to back out of a situation so easily, especially one so advantageous for her social standing. Being acquainted with the heiress would surely open new doors for her, but seeing that she wasn't pouncing on it was bewildering.