FA:TS- Chapter 31

Chapter Thirty-one

Mark smiled down at Dawn as they neared the mansion from their walk. He had never let anyone else use his camera, but he felt like he wanted to see her use it. To have fun with what he does professionally.

Dawn stopped and closed her eyes. She took a deep breathe and her stomach growled loudly. The smell of meat grilling made her mouth water. Steaks. Hot dogs. Burgers. All of it was making her draw a deeper breathe than the one before it.

She giggled when her stomach growled yet again. Mark slid his arm around her waist. "Lunchtime my sparkling girlfriend. And they're having a barbecue." He was smiling a knowing smile.

The music and laughter circled them as they got to the area everyone was at. Almost all the guys were playing tag football in the open field while the girls watched and talked. They looked like a family.

Mark guided her over to the girls after Dawn had a plate of food. "I'm going to trade out the used film for fresh ones. I just hope Patience packed enough to last us a while." He tapped his chin. "Wonder if she'll develop some of it for me." He started to walk inside just thinking about the film.

Dawn smiled shyly seeing his love for taking photos again. She just stared at him as he walked up the back of the mansion and inside. She sighed longingly when she watched him disappear through the back doors.

Dawn turned back to the other girls when she heard giggling. "Wow. I wonder if Han and I were that bad?" Diana asked with an air of amusement. Dawn's cheeks went bright red as she looked down at her plate.

"Oh leave the poor girl alone." Pana said winking at Dawn when she looked up with a small thank you smile. The others turned back to the field and cheered their men on. Except for Pana because Targ was over at the grill being the chef. She was cheering everyone on.

Dawn started to timidly eat her food. To her shock, she actually was interested in what the guys were doing. She even joined in the cheering. One of the guys literally stumbled when she started cheering because he was close enough to hear and wasn't expecting her to join in with the other girls.

Mark and Targ had come over with their own plates when Mark returned from inside. Targ was taking a break from cooking to watch the fun. Mark moved a chair so he could sit next to Dawn and she smiled at him. He had also brought a wine cooler for her while he had a beer.

Dawn took one sip of the drink and choked a little. Mark patted her back. "You okay?"

Dawn nodded. "I've never had anything like this before." She said looking at the bottle in her hands.

"I'll go get you something else."

As Mark started to get up, Dawn reached for his arm and shook her head at him. "Don't. I like this one. I was just not expecting alcohol."

Mark frown. "Are you sure it's alright?"

Dawn smiled and leaned over to kiss his cheek. "Yes. Thank you for thinking of me."

He smiled too and graced her cheek. "Anything for you. I see you're getting into the game." He took a swig of his beer and smirked now.

Dawn blushed, nodded, and took a more timid draw from the wine cooler. "I blame you." She said softly with a shy smile.

He grinned wildly as he sat back and took a bite of his cheeseburger. He would gladly take the credit for opening her up. She was what he had seen deep inside of her that day. All the darkness was nearly gone and she was finally in the light. He wanted to keep her in the light.

Targ started to explain the game to Dawn when she touched his arm part of the way through. "I know the game. I may have been hiding for a long time, but that doesn't mean I haven't let my curiosity to just stop. I did work as a snack girl at a stadium once or... twenty times."

Targ laughed at himself. "Sorry. I keep forgetting." He raised an eyebrow. "How many jobs have you had over the years?"

She giggled. "Are you sure you have time to wait while I write it all down to tally it up?" Mark was laughing with her.

Targ shook his head. "Guess not."

"Particularly when she had multiple jobs at a time." Mark offered as he squeezed her arm gently. Dawn blushed at him remembering. Mark leaned over and kissed her cheek lovingly.

A song drifted their way and Dawn smiled while she softly sang along. Mark too sang along. Awake and Alive by Skillet. They sang it to each other feeling those lyrics matching them too. Dawn felt like Mark had breathed life into her to awaken her and make her feel alive again. Mark felt the same way about Dawn. That she gave him life again.

When the song ended, Mark and Dawn couldn't help but kiss. They promptly broke apart when they heard wolf calls from the feel and 'get a room' from a few. Dawn blushed and covered her face as she leaned on his shoulder. Her face was completely red.

"They do make a perfect harmony." Diana commented as Mark was tugging at Dawn's hands.

"We really do. Don't you agree my Dawn?" Mark whispered to her. Dawn shyly looked up at him and nodded. "How about dessert?" He didn't even need her to answer as he rose and guided her over to the dessert section of the food. He carried both their plates in one hand while holding her hand in the other.

He set our dirty plates down on the stack that was at the end of the table before picking up two more smaller plates. She gulped at the number of different desserts that were there. Mark put a bit of everything he thought she would like on her plate and the same on his plate.

Mark had seen an increase in the number of times Dawn had the look of curiosity in her eyes about something. He didn't even mind her not voicing it. But he cherished the unique moments she did speak her curiosity. And this was one of those unique times. She was asking about each dessert as her eyes sparkle with delight at the taste.

He laughed after she asked about another dessert and looked so shy doing it. He took a bite of his portion and tasted it. He posed himself in a way to look like he was trying to determine the flavors. "That would be a mocha bar with espresso cookie layers."

"I like it a lot." She whispered shyly before she eat the rest of it."

"I do too." He smiled as he ate the rest of his too. He like that they had similar tastes in everything. What went through his mind several times was that he was made for her and only her. Somehow fate had designed them for one another. Though she was a goddess in his eyes and he was a mere mortal so unworthy of her, but he was glad she was with him.