FA:TS- Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

It has been over a week and Mark hasn't slept right since that night. He keeps tossing and turning seeing that guy holding Dawn and she couldn't get free from him. He was having nightmares which added to his worry for her. He was even not eating fully.

He sat on his couch just staring at the picture of Dawn. He longed to see her again. He even went so far as to wait on the rock he has come to think of as hers. She never showed. He felt so empty not seeing her. Not being able to touch her.

His doorbell rang and he set the picture down on the coffee table as he rose. He opened door and groaned out loud. "Please leave me alone." He started to close the door, but Patience stopped it.

Mark huffed as he went back to the couch and plopped down. Patience frowned and held out the plate of cookies that was in one hand while Mark saw the tub of ice cream in the other. She hated seeing anyone like this.

"I bring comfort food. You have been down since that night." She came in and shut the door behind her. "I want to help you with your broken heart." She set down the plate on the coffee table and went into the kitchen.

"I don't have a broken heart." He growled out his lie. He knew it was a lie even before he said anything. His heart hadn't felt right since she ran and just disappeared behind that wall. He crossed his arms as she came back with two spoons and two bowls with the ice cream.

"Oh stop. You know I know you better than that. Look..." She pointed to the picture on the coffee table. "You have most likely been staring at that picture whenever you are alone, haven't you?"

He turned his head to the side sharply. "So what if I have?" He gritted out through his teeth.

Patience held the plate up for him. "Eat." Mark growled as he picked one off the plate. He wasn't going to admit how good her chocolate chip cookies were. He loved her made from scratch cookies and she knew it.

After sometime of eating ice cream and cookies there were two pounds with a slight pause between them on his front door. He rose confused. "Why wouldn't they just ring the bell?" He asked as he reached out for the knob.

His breathe caught when Dawn stood there in the open door. Then she started to fall as he registered the pain on her face and the sweat beading on her forehead. He caught her and followed her arms to see her clenching her side. She was hurt and bleeding.

"I'm sorry... I didn't know where else to go." She was breathing heavy against the pain of being stabbed.

"Patience! Call an ambulance!" Mark shouted looking at Dawn's hands as blood started to leak out.

"No. No ambulance." She shook her head. "No hospital."

"But you could die if we don't get you help." Mark looked into her eyes. Why would she say that? She's hurt terribly and yet she doesn't want any help. He didn't want her to die. He would die inside if she did.

He was in disbelief as she started to smile. It looked like she was going to laugh. A bit of her shining through for the first time and he loved it with all his heart. "I can't die. I tried a long time ago and couldn't." A tear fell from her eye as her eyes started to droop.

"No don't fall asleep. Stay with me!"

Again her mouth quirked up. "Just stay with me. I'll be fine..." Her head fell toward him as she drifted away from him. It just looked like she was sleeping.

"Dawn. DAWN!" He tapped her cheek. "Wake up." Tears started to stream down his cheeks. "Don't leave me!" He cried out holding her tight to him.

Moments later Patience was checking Dawn's pulse. "She is still alive. The ambulance is on the way." Patience moved Dawn's hands out of the way and put pressure on the wound.

Mark shook his head jerkily. "She doesn't want an ambulance. She doesn't want to wake up in a hospital."

"She needs help that we can't give her. She will understand."

Mark looked up at Patience. "She's trusting me. I can't hurt her by going against her wishes. She was scared and came to me." Though he shouldn't feel this was, he had another victory. She trusted him with her life.

Patience softened. "But we need to get her help." She tried to make him see her wisdom.

Before he couldn't protest any more, the paramedics bound up the stairs as Mark and Patience sat in his doorway with the door wide open holding Dawn. Patience moved aside when the men asked her to. She went to pull Mark away, but he wouldn't move.

"They need space to work on her." Patience huffed out as she started to pry his hands away from Dawn and pulled him off her. She finally managed to get him off Dawn and away. She held him down so he wouldn't go back over there.

Soon Angel Kat and Parro showed up seeing what was going on. They had heard the call and realized that it was Mark's condo so they came as fast as they could. They didn't know what to expect but for a stabbing victim was not on their list. They also saw that Mark was in hysterics over Dawn. He kept shouting that she didn't want to go to the hospital.

Mark got worse when the paramedics put Dawn on a stretcher. Parro had to help Patience hold Mark back trying to reassure him that they are helping her. Angel Kat stayed with Dawn as they moved her to the ambulance and even rode with them to the hospital.

Mark sank to his knees when the ambulance moved away. Patience sympathized with her ex. He had fallen so hard for this girl that didn't know how much he cared for her. That he wanted to do anything she had asked of him.

Mark calmed down some after thirty minutes passed. He looked up at Parro. "Please take me to her. Take me to the hospital that they took her to. I should be there with her." He didn't want her waking alone.

"Alright. Give me a minute." Parro tapped the bluetooth receiver that was on his ear. He pushed the first button and he heard a ringing. He had dialed Angel Kat's receiver. Those receivers had a fifty mile radius and could be singularly connected to two lines and then could broadcast to all in that area. The device was designed by an engineer with Price Industries.

Parro asked where they had taken her and Angel Kat told him. She also told him that they didn't have to take her into surgery. They just had to stitch her up. Parro sighed relieved and told her that she will see them soon.

Mark picked up his wallet and keys before following Patience and Parro out his door. He rode on Parro's back as they flew to the hospital. There, he sprinted down the hall where he saw Angel Kat.

"How is she?"

She held up her hands trying to relieve his anxiety. "She's fine. As we speak, she is resting in her private room. They're going to keep her asleep for the rest of the day so she can mend peacefully."

"I need to see her." Angel Kat nodded and lead him to Dawn's room.

Mark rushed to Dawn's bedside and took her hand in his. He caressed her face feeling some relief. She was still touchable and still alive. He sighed in soul fulfillment knowing she was going to be alright even though it was against her wishes. But he had an excuse. He was held back and his shouts were ignored.

Mark turned to look behind him when a chair bumped the back of his legs. Patience smiled knowing he didn't want to leave Dawn for some time. He mouthed thank you to her and sat down. He wasn't going to leave till Dawn woke up. He didn't want her to be frightened when she woke in the hospital.

~