FA: TS- Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

Mark and Dawn had moved to the couch and were busy making out there. They were startled apart when they heard a key in the front door. Mark scrunched up his forehead because he only knew one person who had a key and she doesn't come over when he isn't here. Especially when she didn't tell him she was coming over.

They heard giggling as the door opened. "Are you sure this is okay Patience?" Mark rolled his eyes at the sound of Patience's gay friend Keith's voice. He sounded anxious.

"Oh don't be scared. She needs some clothes and what better way then for them to come back from the park to some clothes for her. She's been through so much and I wanted to let her know that we are there if she needs something." Patience said looking behind her as she walked through the door.

Her foot bumped into the picnic basket. Then she looked down confused. Keith tapped her shoulder and then point ahead of her. "You've been caught red handed Mrs. Samaritan."

Patience shoulders slumped and looked crushed. "Well there goes the surprise." She had a little whine to her voice.

Dawn's eyes trailed down to the shopping bags in her hands. Her eyes welled up seeing the kindness of people she didn't know. People who were so kindhearted that they were giving without any thought of getting credit. Dawn had no idea that people like that still existed.

Mark saw the tears fall from Dawn's eyes. He pulled her to him and rested her against his shoulder. He could see Patience looking gutted like she did something wrong. She didn't know why Dawn started to cry.

Keith wiggled past Patience and into the kitchen. He came back with napkins in hand. "It's okay gorgeous. She didn't mean to upset you."

Dawn shook her head as she accepted a napkin. "It's not that. You guys are just so nice." She wiped her eyes and her cheeks. She looked up at Mark. "That man from the restaurant was the kind of people that..."

Mark didn't want her to finish. He pulled her closer to him. "Shh Dawn, shh." Dawn wrapped her arms around Mark placing her forehead on his shoulder.

Keith lifted a hand to her hair about to pet her, but pulled back when Mark held his hand up. Mark waved a finger from side to side telling him not to touch. Keith pulled a face and dropped his hand. Mark knew that Dawn was sensitive about people touching her. She scares easily. And he didn't want her flashing anywhere now her gift grew.

Patience looked at the bags in her hand. "I'll go put these in the bedroom." She scurried away feeling sad for Dawn.

She remembered that guy in the restaurant. That brute that grabbed Dawn and held her hostage in his arms. She was proud of what Dawn did, but hated that she was reprimanded by the manager. They had decided to leave and saying they weren't coming back. Darius even wrote about it in the paper. The restaurant got a lot of grief over it. It was their fault for not helping Dawn when she needed someone to help her.

Patience looked around and sighed. The place was still a mess. Holes in the walls from Mark fighting that rapist. The armoire was in pieces on the floor with the clothes that was inside it. The rug was pushed and bunched up.

She shook her head as she set the bags down next to the bathroom door. The area of the room clear of debris. She then walked over to the smashed armoire and started to pulled the clothes out of the mess. She was halfway through when someone cleared their throat.

She turned to see Mark standing at the door with an eyebrow raised and his arms crossed in front of his chest. "And what do you think you're doing?"

"Helping start to clean this stuff up."

"That's not your responsibility." He sighed as he walked over. "This is my stuff and you're a guest here, not living here."

"So. That just means I can do what I like. And I like helping to clear this mess."

"Um..." Mark turned at Dawn's embarrassed soft voice. "Maybe I can help?"

Mark rose and looked at Dawn. "I don't want you to bother yourself with this either." He gestured with his hand at the mess.

"But the armoire was my fault. I pushed Nicholas into it." She looked down partially as she spoke. Then she tilted her head to the side slightly. "And I have a way to clean this up without lifting a finger."

"Really? How's that?" Mark asked fully curious.

Dawn blushed and bit her lip. "With my power."

Mark tilted his head to the side. "Do you know what your gift is?" Dawn nodded. "Of course you do. You've had it for over fifty years." She shyly shrugged.

She looked up at him. "Watch." She took in a deep breathe and when she let it out the air shimmered and traveled through the air. Mark watched the shimmering air as it went. He soon saw the small pieces of wood collect and gather where the armoire stood. They all came together and mold back into the armoire as it once stood.

The glittering, shimmering air faded to normal air. "Wow." Patience and Mark echoed together. They were in awe of what they saw.

"I can change it if you want it to look different too." Dawn voice was timid as she offered.

Mark raised an eyebrow to her. "Change it?" She nodded in response. She felt awkward discussing her power, but she started it. She had offered.

Dawn turned beet red when her stomach growled. Then she had to bit her lip as Mark's stomach growled. Dawn so wanted to laugh. Patience did that for her. Patience was on the floor rolling around. She just couldn't help with seeing their equally red cheeks.

Mark shook his head at his ex while taking Dawn hand. "Let's see what I can wipe up for us."

"Can I help with that?"

Mark shook his head. "You just saved us lots of time cleaning. I think I will do all the cooking." Dawn pouted. "Oh don't do that. Please don't make me feel guilty for saying no to you." He leaned down to kiss that bottom lip that Dawn was sticking out.

"You know that in my time, women cooked, cleaned, and tended to everything in the house."

"Yeah well, welcome to the new millennium." Mark said gesturing to a stool to the bar that overlooked the kitchen. Dawn sighed sitting down.

"Need a hand?" Keith asked standing in the doorway of the kitchen as Mark started to go through the refrigerator.

"Nope. No one's helping me. You all are my guests here." Mark started moving all over the kitchen. Keith came over and slid into a chair next to Dawn.

After a short amount of time, Mark produced four plates of food. Simple sandwiches with chips and fruit. Thats why he didn't need any help. Because it was an easy dish.

He set the dishes on the dinning table at the end of his kitchen and went over to Dawn. He smiled while he took her hand and lead her to the table. He even pulled out her chair for her causing her to blush. She hasn't known men to be gentlemanly since before her twenty-first birthday.

The four of them ate and chatted. Well, Mark, Patience, and Keith chatted while Dawn mainly listened. The three didn't pressure Dawn to join the conversation and were very happy when she did offer a little of her view point. They wanted her to feel at ease and speak when she was ready. She wasn't used to being around people and being in their conversation, and they knew it.

~