FA:TS- Chapter 5

Chapter Five

Dawn's calm tranquil sleep shifted as her pleasant dream turned into a nightmare. Her body started to twist and jerk about. She thrashed against the images of Nicholas. She didn't want to relive that again.

"No! You can't. Not again. Ah! No! Stop!" Her arms pushing at an invisible rapist above her.

Mark heard her screams and tossed his magnifier to the side as he ran out of his room. He saw her thrashing on the couch. His heart tightened at the look on her face. She looked frightened and in pain.

"Dawn. Dawn!" He shook her gently. "Come on. Wake up!"

"Get off me! I won't let you hurt me again!"

Mark jolted back. Again? He cursed under his breathe. Someone hurt her. That could be the reason for her being withdrawn and wanting to be alone. What could have happened?

Dawn jolted up. "No!" She was wide awake and she tried to control her breathing. She was trembling as she closed her eyes and put her face in her hands.

Mark moved and sat behind her on the couch. He pulled her to him. Dawn pushed him away and scrambled to the other side of the couch.

Mark held his hands up in surrender. "I'm not going to hurt you."

Dawn looked away and to the ground. "Forgive me if I don't believe you." She pulled the blanket that was around her tight to almost shield herself.

"Are you alright?" Mark was even more worried with each little discovery about her. He wanted to know everything about her. Good or bad.

She rose and circled around the couch. "Please. I just want to be alone." She had her back to him, but he knew her face was one of longing. Longing for someone to get past her defenses and see her. To accept her for who she is. To help heal the wounds of the past. Wounds that were most likely been festering for far too long.

Mark got up silently and walked up behind her. He wasn't going to let her push him away. He moved his arms till his hands hooked on her shoulder not crossing her chest. He could feel that she was starting to let him in.

Dawn shifted out of his arms and stepped away from him. She couldn't understand why he was trying to comfort her. Nor could she understand why she was letting him.

"Please let me in. Let me help you." Mark took a step to her with a hand raised.

Dawn took an equal step back at the same time. "Why? You know nothing about me. I'm just some girl you took a picture of in the park." She took another step back even though he did not move to her. "Please just leave me to the shadows where I have been."

Though she tried to prevent it, a tear fell. Mark was to her instantly. He was holding her and not letting her run from him. He didn't feel her struggle against him. He felt that that was a small victory. For her not to push him away even though she wanted to. She couldn't deny him comforting her.

"I think you need to come out into the sun." Mark lifted her chin. "Will you let me guide you out of the shadows and into the light so you could shine?" He wanted to help her shine with all his heart.

A few more tears fell. Dawn swallowed and shook her head. "I can't."

To her horror, her stomach growled loudly. Her whole face went scarlet as her eyes grew wide with embarrassment. Mark held back his smirk as he touched her cheek. He felt her startled flinch which softened his eyes to her. She wasn't used to compassionate touches.

"I'll make something for us to eat. Will you stay just to eat? After that, I'll let you run if you want. I won't stop you... But please don't run from me. Use me to help heal you."

Dawn contemplated his words for some time till her stomach growled again. She looked away from him. "I'll only stay to eat. I make no promise not to run afterwards."

"I respect that." Mark let her go and walked to the kitchen door. "There are stools right here over looking the kitchen if you want to sit and watch." He looked to her and saw her eyeing the stools. He smirked and went into the kitchen.

Dawn heard him start to fix something. She took the opportunity to look around. The place was so nice. Better than she had seen in so long. She walked around looking at all the photos. She was impressed by what she saw. Whomever took them had a brilliant eye. They captured things and showed the beauty that was in them.

Next to the stereo were several other pictures. She picked up one and noticed it was the one that he shot of her. Her heart twisted as she thought he made her look like a sad angel.

"I hope you like it." She turned to see Mark coming in with two plates in his hands. He grinned at her as he lifted the plates up for a second beaconing her over to eat.

"It's beautiful. You're talented." Dawn complimented as she walked over to the couch shyly.

"Thank you. I can only capture what exists. The beauty of the photo only comes from the beauty of the subject." He handed her a plate as he took a seat on the couch too.

"Then that picture isn't of me. I'm not beautiful." Her throat went tight and she took a bit of the sandwich that was on her plate. She didn't look up at him as she ate. She had a feeling he wanted to argue with her that she was beautiful or even more than beautiful. Thankfully he didn't. They ate in silence.

Mark couldn't believe she thought of herself like that. Not beautiful? She was gorgeous even if she hadn't smiled yet. The way her dark red hair fell in gorgeous cascading waves. Those naturally rosy lips. Her slender figure. How could she not be beautiful?

The more Mark looked at her, the more he was in awe by her. She ate a sandwich with grace and manners. She even held a pinky out. He couldn't help feel like she should be in high society and not a girl who looked to be in rags. To be struggling to live. There was just something about her that intrigued him.

Dawn finished her plate and delicately cleaned her hands off on her napkin. She folded it neatly and laid it on top of her plate. She stood and took the blanket off her shoulders, folding it neatly too, and draped it over the back of the couch.

She still didn't look at Mark which wounded him. "Thank you for lunch. It was quiet enjoyable." She started to move to the door.

"You have to get to work?" Dawn had stopped with her hand on the door when he spoke.

She turned her head to the side. "Today is my day off. I'll leave you to your day." She opened his door and slid through before he could stop her. Like he said before, she could run and he wouldn't stop her. It tore at him not saying something to convince her to stay.

Mark sighed as he flopped down on his couch. His heart ached that she ran. He had hope that she would stay, but in the back of his mind he knew she would run. She wasn't ready. Will she ever be ready to let him in? He held hope that she would. He'll keep trying with that hope.

~