FA:TS- Chapter 28

Chapter Twenty-eight

The next morning Dawn woke early like normal. Well, earlier than Mark and it seemed most everyone. Everyone except Diana it seemed. Dawn had wandered into the kitchen to find Diana already working on breakfast.

"Need any help?" Dawn from just inside the door.

Diana looked behind her and smiled. "Sure. I haven't started on the pancakes yet. The box is in the cupboard."

Dawn shook her head. "Modern women and their boxes. I know I grew up in a time of casseroles and box mixes, but I hated them. I prefer the made-from-scratch method."

"But you're just the same age as me, aren't you?" Diana asked looking at Dawn.

Dawn swallowed as she picked out her ingredients from the pantry. "Actually no. They must not have told everyone." She fell silent for a minute and she retrieved the last of her ingredients and a mixing bowl. She set everything down on the massive butchers block of an island. Dawn looked up to the woman studying her. "This may sound strange, but I've not aged in fifty years."

"Holy...!!!" Diana clamped a hand over her mouth. She was in shock.

"Yeah. I know. A lot to take in." Dawn said as started to mixed the dry ingredients together. "Try imaging living fifty years not being able to settle down. Not to mention the horrible way I was made...immortal I guess you could say."

Dawn stopped there clenching her jaw tightly shut. She never spoke so much about herself. She was really just speaking to herself out loud. She wasn't even paying attention that she wasn't alone. At the moment she didn't care. She just needed to speak. To say something after all these years.

Diana reached out to Dawn to comfort her. Diana could feel Dawn was wounded and needed someone. Dawn felt her moving close and shifted away. Diana took the hint and went back to cooking a new set of bacon.

"I'm sorry for moving away. I have a thing about touch."

"You don't have to explain. It's been a while for you and you need time to get close to someone. At least you have Mark to be there with you."

"I feel like I'm burdening him too much with my problems."

Diana turned around. "I bet he doesn't think so. I can see how protective he is of you. He just wants you happy."

"He's made me happier than I can remember. The way his words breaks the walls around my heart. The way his touches seem to move the shadows away. The way he just looks at me with those eyes."

"You know your skin sparkles more when you talk about him." Diana tilted her head to the side. "I never knew there were non-animal creations out there."

Dawn looked down as she stirred the ingredients together. "I'm not a creation. I'm like this by chance. Targ thought he was healing my wound, but something happened. The small amount of his blood altered me somehow. After that I sparkled and my...powers became more." Dawn grimaced internally thinking she just said too much.

"Wait. You already had gifts before he gave you some of his blood?" Diana couldn't imagine that. But Dawn had lived for fifty years not aging. Could that be linked to her powers.

Dawn nodded not looking up. "One thing I've had for the fifty years besides not aging." Dawn sighed. "Umm.. I'm ready to make the pancakes now."

"Oh...yeah. Right over here." Diana lifted a flat surface to reveal a long large griddle. She turned a knob on the stove. "It should be ready in a little." Diana turned back to Dawn. "You can always talk to me about anything. I wouldn't tell a soul. Even Han."