FA:TS- Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Dawn twisted and turned for the second night in a row. She kept seeing that damned man in her sleep. He was always in her thoughts. Mark. She growled and tried to push him out of her thoughts. In the end nothing help. He was stuck there in her thoughts.

Her work that day seemed too slow without her wanting it to. She felt too normal. Too strange after she met that guy in the park. His green eyes haunted her dreams. His voice echoes in her sleep and while she was awake. She tried to will him away, but still nothing.

She threw off her covers and needed fresh air. She dressed and went out in the early morning light. It was Wednesday and its her common day off. She was going to use this day to try and distance herself from this Mark. His memory just hounded her too much for her liking. Even in her sleep she saw him and his camera.

Dawn walked the few blocks to the city park. She kept her head down as people passed her not even paying her any attention. Thats how she liked it. She was invisible to everyone that came near her.

Once in a while someone will pass and she would shift reality so when they looked back they didn't see her. They would have to be sure of what they saw and look right at her for more than a few seconds to see her. No one had ever paid that much time to see something that on second glance didn't seem to be there.

Several minutes later, she came to her favorite spot. The sun was just over the horizon and skimming through the trees as it cast its light on everything. Everything looked like it was waking up from a restful nap. Something she didn't know. Haven't for a long time.

She sat there with her shoes off and her feet sweeping back and forth in the waters. The icy temperature of the water help to distract her from Mark. She remembered something else. A dark memory. The time before she was so lonely. A time when she was beyond happy and made everyone else happy before her innocence had been taken from her.

~~~~~

The day had started like any other before it. She woke, washed, cooked morning breakfast for her family, and was the perfect respectful daughter. She wore her modest clothes like a good daughter and ate like a lady that she was expected to be.

That morning her family looked solemn as they ate. It was her twenty-first birthday and she thought they would be happy that she was meeting her future husband. It was expected of her no matter how much she didn't want to marry someone she had never met before. But she did it for her family. They were her priority.

She rose silently as she cleared the table. No one said a word to her. No one made eye contact for that matter. Like they were ashamed of themselves. She could feel that they were keeping something from her, but did not disrespect her family by asking. If they were going to tell her what was wrong, they would do it when they were ready.

The day rode on and she did her duties as she always did. No one came near her, nor spoke to her. They all seemed to be in mourning, but no one had died.

The night came and the small party in her honor started. Still her family seemed to be in mourning though they had fake smiles plastered on their face. They were playing happy for their guests.

Her father got everyone's attention for an announcement. He walked over to the mantle were the family's heirloom silver goblet rested. Her father had taken it earlier that day and had replaced it just before the party.

He came to her looking apologetic with the goblet in his hands. "It is a tradition in our family that on their twenty-first birthday, the eldest daughter drinks of this goblet." He presented the goblet to her knowing she would drink even if he didn't want her to.