FA:TS- Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty-six

Targ stood up as they approached. "I'm sorry. I didn't think about leaving out the testing part. I just remembered that you said someone tested on you. I feel like an as-..."

Dawn stopped him before he finished. "It's alright. Forgive me for overreacting to your story. You were just telling how it happened."

Targ's shoulders relaxed. "If you want, I'll tell you the rest omit that part of my story."

"Please." She said glad that they were forgetting what just happened with her.

They took their seats again, and Targ went back into his story. "Well. After she just vanished one day..." Dawn smirked at that. Vanished? Thats what they thought? Good. They didn't need to know she just ran through a wall to some place familiar. "Father used what he knew to recreate the compounds in her blood. There were many trial and errors.

"He was about to give up when he accidentally cut himself and a few drops fell into the compound. He didn't know until he tested that compound and made the discovery that it worked. He found out that ten shots of the serum at certain key points on a person's body, they become something more.

"Most people he had injected, like myself, were dying at the time from one reason or another. He gave us a second chance thanks to fate. If that woman hadn't been admitted to his hospital, so many wouldn't be here today." Targ looked at Pana. "I wouldn't be here today nor Pana."

Dawn looked to Mark wondering if she should tell them. She had conflicting emotions. Mark leaned over to whisper in her ear. "It would be alright to tell them." He leaned back with an encouraging nod of his head.

She held his hand as he turned back to the two who were watching very curiously to their silent exchange. She swallowed to clear the lump from her throat. "You know that I have been around for a long time." They both nodded. "Well. Twenty years ago I was mugged and struck over the head. Hard. It put me in a coma like state for about a month. When I came out, I was alone in a hospital room. I checked the chart and got scared when I found that some doctor was preforming tests on my blood which he took a bit each day. I ran."

Targ made the connection. "It was you. You're the source blood that spawned the serum." His eyes grew wide with another realization. "That's why you changed. A creation's blood still carries the serum. And when I gave you some of my blood, that little bit of serum must have hit your system more profoundly then in a normal person. Possibly because you already had some of the same compounds in your system." He was making more connections.

Dawn sighed and relaxed at Targ not getting completely worked up about her being the one their 'Father' had tested on. Dawn looked up to Mark with a tilt to her lips. "They're not going to call me 'mother' now, are they?" The three laughed and Mark kissed her forehead delighted with her question.

"We can keep this between us for now. Just to know that I don't have to search anymore is amazing." Targ said calming down.

Dawn tilted her head confused. "You were searching for me?"

"The reason why I was there in the city with Patience was to search for you. I was getting her help to find you. When I found Father's journal and found out that he only created it because of a source blood, I knew I wanted to find the person it was from. Throughout the whole journal he only refers to you as the source blood until you woke and ran away. He was distraught and simply wrote 'she vanished'. I knew that was enough to try and start a search to sate my own curiosity."

"Please don't ask too many questions just yet."

Targ held up his hands. "Don't worry. I know that you're going through a lot right now. You already supplied me with two answers. Why you left the hospital and how. I don't need anything else." He looked so happy. Then he hit his head. "I forgot Patience's vision. She was right."