Chapter 45

Chapter 45

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Mom was buried two days ago and ever since I haven't really done anything. I have just felt so numb. Like not even sad. I just felt.... nothing.

My dad has taken two weeks off of his work to stay down here.

"Nicola we really need to talk."

"Okay"

"So... I have to go back to the states soon. And you have to come with me." He said, and my face when chalk white.

"Bu-but, isn't there another way?"

"Okay so I knew you would ask this, and at your mom's funeral I talked to her half brother that lives in Lithgow. And in order for you to stay since you are not an Australian citizen, he will need to legally adopt you."

"What?" I asked bewildered. "You are sending me to the mountains? Like two hours away? Why?"

"Well would you rather be on the other side of the world?"

"No" I mumble. "Why have I never met this guy?"

"Well your mom and him were never on great speaking terms. And you have met him before, but you were like three, so you probably don't remember. But he says that even though you don't know each other very well, you are welcome."

"This is great dad, it really is, and I'm not being sarcastic. One thing though, won't I have to move schools?"

"Well you are going to talk to him about that. Ya see, you could just go through all the legal stuff and then live with one of your friends here, in Sydney. But that would all be up to him."

"Okay....." I was still trying to process all of this information. It was all just so much.

"We are going to drive out to his farm tomorrow and talk to him."

"Wait. Farm??"

"Yeah, the mountain valleys are really furtile."

Fantastic. Just fantastic.

--

"Babe?!" I hear Lukes voice ring through the house.

"In my room!" I yell not taking my eyes off of my laptop screen where I was scrolling down my feed on tumblr. The door to my room opens revealing Luke.

"Ya ready to go?"

"What?" I ask, not really sure what he was talking about.

"You really forgot?"

"Forgot what? I won't know what I forgot unless you tell me what I forgot." Wait did that even make sense?

"I'm taking you on a date Nik." My eyes widen and I mentally face palm myself. He rolls his eyes at me and playfully says "I cannot belive you."

"Oh please." I mumble, "Now leave so I can change." I shooed him out of my room, but before I closed the door I asked, "what do I wear?"

"Casual.... you might wanna put on a jacket though."

"Okay." I closed the door and thought. I decided on black ripped skinny jeans, Vans, a Van Halen singlet under a navy blue zip up jacket.

After I touched up my makeup we headed out.

(Lukes POV)

Luke pipe down. Stop being so nervous. You have nothing to be scared of. It's just Nikki.

But it's Nikki. The most gorgeous girl you know. What if I mess up and she never wants to talk to me?

Luke don't think that, just, relax. You will be fine.

"Luke, are you okay?" Nikki asks looking at me with concern.

"Yeah I perfectly fine." I smile over at her beautiful apperance.

"Luke please look at the road." She says looking down inspecting her hands. I start to ask why and then remember. "I can lose another person I love." She said in an almost inaudible voice. I'm not sure whether I was supposed to hear her or not but I grabbed her hand and just held it tight, hopefully conveying what words couldn't.

I pull up to our destination as the sun is setting. We get out and it is a bit windy, but what really blows me away is Nikki. The wind sweeping through her hair and all around her just makes her look gorgeous.

Okay, since when do I talk, or rather think, like that?

"Didn't your mother ever teach you that staring is rude?"

"Nope." This made her smile and chuckle. "Oh and I have pizza."

"Really? Thank God I am starving." She says and comes over to get a slice.

"Is it too cliché?"

"There will never ever everrr be anything wrong with pizza. Ever. Comprehende?" She says. I smile and nod. This girl is like literally perfection wrapped up into a neat little package and decorated with an adorable smile.

What am I saying? This girl has made me, God forbid, soft?

"Lucas, come here." She says and tugs on my hand leading me to the edge of the cliff. She plops herself down with her legs dangaling.

"Are you sure that's safe?"

"Well unless you plan on pushing me, then I don't see any way I could fall."

"Fair." I join her on the ledge over looking Sydney and the sun that is setting right before our eyes. Nikki places her head on my shoulder and says

"This is perfect Lucas."

You're perfect I think to myself. Damn I really have gone soft.

I just hum in response and kiss the top of her head. She was right, ya know.

This - everything that is happening right now - is perfect.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Awwwwww

So guys I am now at like 83K reads. Thank you all sososososososososooooo much! ♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥

VERY SUPER EXTREMELY IMPORTANT:

Seahawks or Patriots?

.

.

.

.
Go Seahawks!

.

.

.

.

(^^the teams in Superbowl XLIX for all yall who don't know) .

xx

Noelle