Chapter 65

Chapter 65

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Who is he? Is he really even there?

The darkness of the shadows prevents me from seeing much of anything. I squint, but all I can see is darkness.

I step away from the window I have been staring out of. I have closed all the curtains in my house, locked all the windows too. I so want that to be a figment of my imagination, but it seems so real.

I can feel something, someone watching me.

It's like he is haunting me. Just waiting for the right moment to jump out and attack me. But I have to be alone. And currently, I am.

He wouldn't have followed me from the airport, would he? It scares me, but I wouldn't put it past him. Boundaries don't exist within his mind. He thinks he can have whatever he wants. And trying to stop him is futile.

I try to calm myself by making tea. Breathing in the sweet scent as I stir in the sugar calms my nerves ever so slightly. The warm drink heats up my entire body while I sip it. I'm not particularly cold, but this comforts me.

I set the mug down on the counter so I can go up to my room and throw on a fuzzy oversized sweatshirt.

I grab the railing that's leads up the stairs when the door bell goes off. I freeze. I can't even seem to move to peer out the hole in the door for fear of who it might reveal.

Dead silence.

I can hear the soft clicking of the grandfather clock as it counts down time.

Is he gone? Or is he waiting?

My phone goes off in my hand and I drop it in surprise. I was hardly breathing before and now I was trying to catch my breath escaped me.

The phone landed face up and I am able to read the notification of a received text.

Luke - hey I'm outside ur house are you there? :-)

I then regain control of my body and turn around, opening the door to reveal my blonde, tattooed boyfriend.

"Oh thank God its you."

"Who else would it be? And why is your house so dark?" He says after he looks around.

"I think there maybe someone after me."

"Just me." A smirk danced across his lips.

"I'm serious."

"Babe, if that guys comes after you again I'll just have to kick his ass for a second time. No big deal." He confidence is overpowering and my fear melts from my body.

"What about when you leave for tour?" And the frightening thoughts are back.

"That's months away, I bet he will give up by then."

But I knew Luke was wrong there. He made it very clear that he would not stop until he had me.

--

Weeks later and I still feel like something is very wrong. I'm not seeing anyone while I am out, but darkness seems to still be in the air.

I'm sleeping much better, but circles appear and darken under Rachel's eyes. When I ask her about it she never gives me a straight answer, and is jittery.

Soon she starts to distance herself, never wanting to come over, our conversations always brief, she doesn't meet my eye.

"Rachel, what is wrong?" I forcefully ask. I gave up trying to be nice a while ago.

"I said I was fine! Everything is fine! Nothing is wrong, okay?" The exasperation clear in her tone as she gives me the same answer as last time, and the time before that. She turns and begins to walk away but I stop her.

"He has gotten to you hasn't he?"

"What are you talking about?" She sighs and turns her head.

"Justin." She physically flinches when I say his name.

"I don't know who that is. Now I have to go." Her voice is just above a whisper and the strain in it proves she was holding back a sob.

"No." I say forcefully, "you're coming with me." I throw an arm around her shoulders and tries to guide her to my car.

"No!" He eyes are so frightened as she frantically ducks under my arm and pushes away to escape me.

"Rachel, please," I am now on the edge of tears, "can I have my best friend back? All I want is to see you happy again. I don't want him to hurt you like he hurt me. Please, if you help me, we could put him away. Just come with me. I'm begging you."

"I don't know what you are talking about Nicola. Goodbye." Her voice was firm, but her eyes a completely different story.

They say eyes are the windows to the soul, well her soul was dying slowly.

And it was painful for me to watch.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Thanks to everyone who commented on the last chapter, you guys are so sweet and supportive. Thank you.

It was pretty much unanimous for me to continue with my original plan, so that's the track we're headed!

Sorry this is short and late >.

Thanks again and I really love you guys ;)

xx
Noelle