I guess I am a father now

I haven't done a POV in a while so here is a Gwaine POV!

A little context before we start. Uther is still king, Arthur and Merlin are dating (behind Uther's back of course, but it's common knowledge among the servants and knights as they aren't exactly subtle.) Gwaine and Percival are kind of dating, it's made clearer towards the end.

---

Percival pushed his tankard away and made for the door completely ignoring my shameless whines.

"No Gwaine it's gone midnight and we have training tomorrow. I am going back and so should you."

"Ah you're no fun." I taunt, picking up my own cup and taking a long swig of mead. Percival rolled his eyes and walked out of the near empty tavern, leaving me alone. I finish my tankard in one mouthful and slam in onto the table. With a lack of better things to do I head for the door. Damn Percival is rubbing of on me, to much of a good influence.

I walk out into the night and instantly feel the bite of the winter season. My breath lingers in the air like dragon smoke, curling into the black. The beauty of winter is often overlooked, shadowed by the fear of hypothermia and death that seems to follow. But it is by far my favourite time of the year. I love the way my breath dances in the air, shimmering in the moonlight before dissipating into nothingness.

I tighten my cloak around my shoulders and head of in the direction of the Knights quarters. The crunch of frost covered stones beneath my feet echoes through the street. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if it wasn't for the second pair of footsteps scuttling behind me. I freeze in place, starting to really regret not leaving with Percival. I'm not in the mood for an ambush today.

I listen for more footsteps but all I receive is silence. Okay time for a different approach.

"Come out with your hands up." A shadow flickers as if detaching from the wall but makes no attempt to get any closer. "I can see you. Don't be afraid I wont hurt you."

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. As soon as those dreaded words left my mouth the shadow launched at me. I made a move for my sword but it had already clamped onto my leg. It was shaking. Hard.

Upon further inspection I deduce that this is not a shadow but a child. A tiny one at that, maybe no more than three summers old. His cloak swallows his body, leaving only the tip of his nose visible. I manage to pry the boy of my leg long enough to bend down. His hazel eyes are blown wide with fear, but there is no sign of physical injury.

"Why are you out alone at night?" I ask, trying keep my voice as calm as possible.

"Mama and Papa gone." Was all he could mumble before bursting into tears. Shit I made the kid cry.

"Hey hey it's okay. My name is Gwaine, I'm going to take care of you. Is that alright." The boy nodded as he tried to scale my clothes. With a smile I pick him up and continue my trek back home.

By the time I reach my room the boy was passed out in my arms, head tucked underneath my chin. Even without knowing a thing about this boy I can't help but feel compelled to help him. Everything about him reminds me of myself when I was younger. My mother died just after my birth, my father helping Uther in the purge. Not that I really cared, he was a horrid person and treated all who worked for him (including me) as his slave. That fear is still nestled into my mind, planted so deep it will never be uprooted. But maybe it isn't to late for him.

The next morning I awake to something tickling my nose. I bat it away sleepily only to be jolted awake by a crash and a small cry. Shit I pushed him of the bed!

"I'm so sorry little one." The boy sits up with a pout, crossing his arms over his chest defensively.

"That hurt."