Scars and Bruises

Trigger warning: Balinor is verbally and Physically abusive towards his children, Merlin and Freya.

Merlin and his friends are 19 and Freya is 5. Arthur and Morgana are twins and Uther is nice.

Modern AU, no magic

---

Merlin's hands were slick with sweat, but shaking like it was below freezing. The click of the front door sent his mind into panic mode. Warning bells went off as footsteps trudged up the stairs heading straight for his room.

Freya curled up into his side, whimpering like a scared puppy. Merlin hushed her the best he could by running a shaky hand through her silky black hair. Her lips quirked into a small smile at the feeling. It was quickly wiped of by the bedroom door flying open with enough force to knock it of its hinges.

"Why the hell have you not done the house work boy?" Balinor yelled making Freya seize up out of fear.

"Father I have done everything." Merlin stuttered.

"Don't backchat me boy." He screamed, slapping Merlin across the face. The mark tingles fiercely and Merlin knew it would leave a bruise.

"Get your arse downstairs and finish." If looks could kill Balinor would be nothing more than a pile of ash on the floor. Merlin stood up, with Freya attached to his hip, and stared down his father as he left the room.

The master bedroom door was slammed shut a clear indicator that Balinor would not be leaving anytime soon.

This was his chance.

"Freya stay here. I am going to get us out of here."

Freya nodded and hid behind the couch for good measure. Merlin's heart broke as he silently made his way up the stairs. No five year old should be that afraid of her father that she hides every time she is left alone.

Merlin packed some of his and Freya's clothes into a bag, along with some food and two bottles of water. He slid his phone into his back pocket, grabbed their coats and headed back downstairs.

They had gotten to the door when the sound of a door opening echoed through the house.

"Run." Merlin instructed. The two siblings ran out the front door,not bothering to close it. They tore through their massive garden and too the gate.

Once through they were faced with the small forest that surrounds their property. In their it would take Balinor hours to find them, so they would be safe.

--

"Merlin I am hungry." Freya whined her tiny feet dragging on the long grass.

"I'm sorry Freya I didn't pack anymore." Merlin apologized. Before Freya could resume her whining, the crack of a branch reverberated through the forest.

Merlin whipped around, tucking Freya behind his legs. His eyes darted through the trees until he spotted a group of figures at the tree line.

"Come on Freya, maybe they can help us."

The two walked over to the group. As they neared, Merlin recognised a blonde haired man to be none other than his best friend since primary, Arthur Pendragon.

"Arthur!" Merlin cried as he picked up his sister and ran over to the group. Arthur turned around and his eyes widened at the sight.

"Merlin, what happened to your face? Are you ok?"

The one thing someone who's not okay doesn't want to hear is that question. It's enough to break down your walls and let the tears come pouring out.