Stories of the past

This story is dedicated to both textmewhenitsdark and funnyilcool3 . I kinda combined both of these requests which can be seen above. So enjoy a Snow White inspired Prince!Merlin fic!

.

.

.

You all know the story of Camelot. A tyrannical king blinded by grief starts a war against magic in hopes to get revenge for the death of his wife. After his passing his son took the throne and tried his best to rule as a fair and just king. But magic was never reintroduced, not in his lifetime anyway.

Well what if I told you the stories you know are wrong. The Camelot I know was a safe haven for all people; both magical and not. You see, the life that was demanded in return for Arthur's birth was not Ygraine, but Nimeuh. She knew this and accepted her fate with grace, knowing she was aiding the birth of a new age. With Ygraine alive and well, Uther had no need to start a war and continued to welcome the old religion into his kingdom.

By no means did that mean those with magic were safe. The prejudice was seen elsewhere, in a kingdom equally as powerful as Camelot herself. Halcyon - home of the royal family Ambrosius - ruled the east with an iron fist. At its face was Balinor the great whose rule rivalled that of Uther Pendragon himself. However it was his wife, Hunith who was really running the scenes. She married the king all but a month after his first wife passed and Mercia has never been the same since. Her hatred for magic influenced every law, every battle. The staff she kept, the Knights Balinor trained. Anything even remotely magical was destroyed on sight. Except for one.

A druid seer was imprisoned in the dungeons. Their presence was unknown to the outside world, hidden from her husband and the rest of the council. Hunith kept him like a prize pet, going to him whenever a magical suspicion arose. She abused his power and found joy in the pain it caused him as he betrayed his kin. It was during one of these interrogations that Hunith uncovered a wondrous truth...at least for her.

“You mean to tell me my step son is a sorcerer.” When she received no answer, Huntih struck the cold metal bars separating the seer and he flinched back violently. The poor man pressed himself into the wall tugging at the chains that were secured in the centre of the cell as a desperate attempt to escape the wicked Queen.

“Yes m’lady. And a powerful one at that, I can sense his aura from here.” Hunith’s nose crinkled in disgust at such a claim. She has always despised Merlin - thought him an insolent little brat who refuses to learn his place. Up until now she had never considered taking action.

The Queen retreated to her chambers, stopping a servant on her way and ordering them to send for her most loyal knight. Her mind spun with ways to rid herself of the boy. Killing Balinor was easy enough as the man was old and already sick. Now she had a chance to take care of Merlin, the boy who had been a thorn in his side for half a decade.

“You wished to see me, Your Majesty.” Sir Angus said from the door, making Hunith’s head jerk up.

“I have a job for you. I need you to accompany the Prince to the forest tomorrow. Make sure you are alone.” Angus nodded hesitantly, completely unsure of where this was going. “And there you will kill him.”

“But your majesty he is but a boy!” Angus exclaimed momentarily forgetting his position. Hunith’s eyes blazed with anger and she took a step towards the knight.

“Silence. You know the penalty if you fail.” Angus bowed his head and muttered his apologies. Still not satisfied with his reaction Hunith grabbed a box from her desk and shoved it in his hands. “And so I know you don’t try to escape this, bring me his heart.”