Banquets and Bruises

@sorcerer-supreme6 this one is for you! Thank you so much for the prompt

There is gonna be a small tw for violence and a little blood&gore.

Gonna be mergana this time, switching up from Merthur. Get ready for angst!

.

.

.

Anyone who's anyone knows of the new power couple in Camelot. Morgana had been infatuated with the snarky serving boy since he first started working at the palace; their courtship was highly anticipated by everyone but the boy himself. When Morgana admitted her feelings Merlin fell, and fell hard. Now not a day goes by where they aren't together.

It's not only their love they share, but their secrets as well. Excluding Gaius, Morgana is the only other person in Camelot who knows of his magic and vice versa. It brought them all the more closer in the first few weeks.

Now it's been years and things were perfect. Arthur was king, the ban against magic was getting reviewed and the kingdom had reached a state of peace. Their secret no longer had to be as such and they were free to use their magic as long as Arthur was informed.

But of course the universe just had to throw in a curve ball. Nothing can last forever. Peace. Love. Friendship. They all end.

The anniversary of their relationship was a largely celebrated occasion. Arthur always insisted on a banquet, despite the couple's protests. Every noble family in the kingdom received an invite to the feast and ball that follows.

"Arthur this really isn't necessary." Morgana complained glancing at the scroll of names on her brother's desk.

"We go through this every year! You deserve to be celebrated." Merlin opened his mouth to protest - most likely saying something along the lines of 'but I'm just a servant' - when Arthur held up his hand. "Both of you."

"Okay you win. But make sure it's not a repeat of last year. Those entertainers were...creepy." Merlin shuddred at the memory. The circus Arthur had invited was one built on the slavery of magical Creatures. When they realised they were performing to two warlock's they very nearly started a war, saying how unnatural their abilities were and that Morgana was to be stripped of her title.

"No circus. You have my word."

"We'll see you tonight brother." Morgana said whilst tugging Merlin to the door. Arthur watched them leave with a fond smile on his face.

Morgana lead Merlin through the castle and out to the gardens. There were miles of meadows, streams, clusters of forest to explore; best of all they didn't even have to leave the grounds. All this beauty was tucked within the palace walls.

The wind whipped their hair as they ran through the knee high grass, bumping into each other and acting like love sick fools. Their chase ended in Merlin collapsing into a bed of wildflowers under an ancient willow.

"You have no stamina. Beaten by a - ah!" Morgana yelped as she fell next to Merlin, so close their noses practically touched. She found herself breathless when her eyes connected with Merlin's. Six years and those eyes still had the ability to turn her brain to mush.

"You were saying." His voice sent shivers down Morgan's spine to which Merlin smirked.

"Cold darling?"

"God's I love you." Morgana surged forward kissing him in the most gentle yet passionate way possible. Merlin propped himself up either side of her head without breaking contact.

When they parted Merlin's cheeks were dusted pink. "Happy anniversary Morgana."

---------

Come evening the castle was packed with guests and the feast was well under way. Merlin had to admit these banquets always felt strange, he wasn't used to be sat at the table being a servant and all. That didn't take away from the joy of the situation, of course he enjoyed the attention to no end. It's not everyday a servant got to be treated like a king, might as well make the most of it.