lady of the lake

Freya is Merlin's ten year old sister. They both live in Camelot with Gaius.

---

Merlin placed three bowls of stew on the table and began slicing the bread when his little sister burst through the door. Her face was bruised and tearstained. But what scared Merlin most was her golden eyes.

Someone had seen.

"Freya what happened?" Merlin questioned, trying to soothe the crying girl.

"They s-saw me using m-magic. One g-girl went to tell a knight whilst the o-other beat m-me up." Freya hiccuped choking on her tears. Merlin cursed silently, and stroked her long black hair in calming motions.

"It's okay Frey. I won't let anything happen to you." Freya's ocean eyes met Merlin's deep blue, full of gratitude and fear. A terrifying combination.

"Promise?" She whispered.

"I promise." Merlin confirmed kissing her temple. He lead her to the table and sat next to her on the bench as she shakily shoveled down her stew.

---

Late into the night a loud banging awoke the Ambrosius siblings. Freya whimpered, shoving herself  up against the wall next to her bed.

Merlin readied himself for the coming conflict and stormed to the door with fire in his eyes. He flung open the door and was shocked to see an out of breath Gwaine doubled over in the doorway.

"Gwaine what are you doing here?" Merlin hissed.

"Get her out of here now Merlin. They are coming for her at first light." Merlin's eyes widened and he glanced at the door to their shared room. He could hear Freya's sobs, striking him painfully in the chest.

"Thank you Gwaine. We will leave now." Gwaine nodded and ran back up to the Knights quarters. Gaius sat up from his bed, obviously woken from the incessant banging.

"I will miss you my boy. Keep her safe." Gaius whispered, squeezing Merlin's shoulder. Merlin nodded and headed back to his room to pack.

This was going to be a long night.

---

"Run Freya!" Merlin yelled as the thundering of hooves came closer. Freya tore ahead with the aid of her magic, breaking through the thick brush with ease. Adrenaline and fear fueled her body, making it work of autopilot. Her mind had otherwise shut down in her panicked state.

Merlin followed close behind, scanning for a suitable hiding place. When he could find nothing but the edge of the forest his heart rate began to rise.

They were going to get caught. Arthur is going to kill her. He can't watch another family member die. Freya is all he has left, he will not let her die.

Freya had broken the tree line already and was racing through the knee high grass.

"MERLIN!"

The piercing yell put Merlin on the brink of collapse. Racing towards them were Camelot soldiers. They must have cut across the forest and surrounded them.

"We're trapped." Freya sobbed, eyes glowing a dangerous gold as her magic manipulated her fear.

"It's okay. Nothing is going to happen to you. I promised." Merlin said, pulling his sister closer and staring down his former friends. He noticed Gwaine and Lancelot were not among the Knights.

But Arthur was.

He sat tall on his horse staring at his servant with an expressionless face and cold eyes.

"Give her up Merlin." He demanded in such a way that made said servants blood boil.

"Never."

"She is a danger to the state and needs to be-"

"To be what? Killed? Tortured? I don't think so. You want her you go through me."

Arthur's stoic facade broke to reveal a rather pained expression.  Despite this he dismounted and drew his sword.

"Very well."

(A/N I am literally yelling at myself for writing this I am so sorry for this torture. Anyway back to the pain)

Arthur ran forward, sword raised and ready to strike. Freya screamed as the sword hit her brother. But instead of piercing the skin it simply bounced of, shattering the metal.

Arthur recoiled in horror staring at his friend who radiated pure unadulterated power.

"You have magic."

"No, I am magic. My name is Emrys, destined to be the most powerful warlock to walk the earth. You used to have a very powerful ally, Arthur Pendragon. But you came after the wrong person and you will pay dearly for that."

Merlin gripped his sister and yelled the chilling words of the old religion.

"Bedyrne ús! Astýre ús þanonweard!"

A ferocious whirlwind picked up around the two warlocks, blowing back any who tried to attack them. Arthur watched in horror as the two disappeared in the grey mist, cursing himself for acting so rashly.

He had brought about Camelot's fall. He had altered his fate and his kingdom's.

There will be no part 2 to this, sorry bout that. But for once I actually like the cliffhanger ending so yeah!

I hope you enjoyed...despite it being angsty in a way.