Thirteen

Nothing gives me so much joy than coming to see one or two more reads and votes for this story. So this chapter is for you, dear reader.
🥰🥰🥰

Meena gazed at the clouds sailing along, blocking out the full moon, but never dimming its light. She sighed: If only my hope could be as bright as the moon, undimminishable, no matter the size of trials that come along.

She turned away from the window and plopped back on the bed, eyes now on the slowly turning ceiling fan. She pursed her lips. It had been three weeks and Nur still hadn’t called. Did that mean he had failed? That he didn’t succeed in convincing his mum? She turned to her left and pushed both hands under her pillow to prevent herself from wiping the tears that threatened to fall. If that was the case, then they had both failed.

Oh God, Why did I agree in the first place? She wondered as her mind replayed the past event that had led to her current predicament.

“Can you imagine?!” Meena screeched, taking her eyes off her phone. 

“What is it?” Kauthar asked, glancing at the phone, then at her.

Meena showed her the text. After reading the text, Kauthar raised her brows, “Okay, what’s the problem?” She gestured with an open palm. 

“What, what do you mean, Is it now he’s realizing the need to talk? What excuse does he have to give this time?” Meena said, face hardening.

Kauthar sighed. “This is not the time to get angry o,” Meena gaped at her.
“Ehen na, at least hear him out first before you start sparking.”

“But-” She started to say, but Kauthar held up a hand. “Calm down, find out what he has to say. He may have a valid explanation for all this.” 

Still frowning, Meena sighed. “It better be.” She said, then headed for the bathroom to freshen up.

She ambled out of the house, ignoring the curious and teasing glances from her folks. she strolled towards the backyard where an old mango tree stood-its leaves as long as her hand-with three white plastic chairs arranged underneath. 

Nur had his back to her. As she grabbed the chair beside him, he turned to her with a knowing smile, eyes twinkling. The orange bulb hanging above them made his light skin beam against his pitch black beard.

Marhaban habibti,” He grinned, but she glared at him, then turned away.
He let out a low chuckle. “I know you’re mad at me.” 

She narrowed her eyes, “mad ke, hmmm,” She shook her head, “You haven’t seen anything.” Nur nodded. “What happened earlier was embarrassing, Nur. What is going on exactly? cos I know it’s more than you let on. And with the way Aunty Intisar behaved, it seems she’s also clueless about it.”

Nur sighed. “You’re right and I’m sorry for the way things turned out. Trust me,” his eyes met hers, “If there was any other way to avoid it, I would have, but…”

“But?” Meena folded her arms.

“My mum isn’t exactly okay with our relationship.” He said and averted his eyes.

Why am I not surprised? Meena shook her head. “Why? She never showed any disinterest when we talked.” She rose her shoulders.