Seven

Every nation has that one idol they don’t want to give up. Ours are human emotions and desires. – Umm Zakiyyah 

Walida felt the days swimming past her in a hurry to catch the weekend. Since that eventful Monday, visits had poured forth from near and far: from relatives to friends to colleagues and neighbours. It made her feel secure and loved with the numerous well wishes she got. There also lies the advantage of living close to relatives, for they would always be easily accessible— to celebrate with you or mourn over your loss with you. 

A heavy rain fell on Saturday morning, halting Walida’s plans to do some laundry, and visit her mother, who had just returned from Abuja where she had gone for a friend‘s wedding. Now that her children were all settled in their homes, Hajj Muna felt she could travel as she saw fit, regardless of what the family thought. 

Walida was just rounding up her afternoon prayer when she heard a knock on the door. She stood up and folded her mat, wondering who could be outside on such a rainy afternoon.

She made her way to the door and opened it: Mrs Agatha, the vice headteacher of their school, stood beside Aisha— both clutching their folded wet umbrellas. 

“Oh, welcome ma.” She smiled widely, letting them in. As she sat down, she took off her floor-length black hijab and placed it on the arm of the cushion while her visitors sat on the couch to her right. 

“How are you dear?” Mrs Agatha asked, eyes crinkling as she smiled. Her green lace gown was dark against her albino skin. 

“I’m fine ma. And you?” Walida smiled back. Then she glanced at Aisha, whose eyes had been glued to her phone since she came in. Then, as if being told to look up, Aisha caught her eyes. 

“You Kuma, ba gaisuwa necan’t you greet?” Walida glared at her. 

Aisha rolled her eyes in reply. “Won’t you serve us anything? Ah ah.” She spread her arms, sharing a look with Mrs Agatha. “see us coming to visit you under this heavy rain.” She said as Mrs Agatha smiled, shaking her head.

“Why are you complaining, are you not an escort?” Walida replied, standing up. “Ehe ma, please what can I get you?” 

“Ah, there’s no need, I’m actually in a hurry. I just wanted to see how you’re faring and to apologize for not being here earlier.”

“There’s no need, I know how busy you are,” Walida said. “At least let me get you something for the kids.” She headed for the kitchen. 

“And me too o!” Aisha called out. 

After Mrs Agatha left, Walida and Aisha headed back inside. Just then, the electricity came back on. 

“Ehen,” Walida said, impressed. 

“You see the good luck my visit comes with ba?” Aisha said, tucking her legs beneath her black abaya. 

Toh ya ne?” Walida asked. 

“Nothing much.” she shook her head, eyes on her phone. “Ehen,” she excitedly tapped Walida’s thigh covered in fitted black jeans. Walida raised her brows, giving her an are-you-normal look.