Six

You’ve come this far despite all the trials and you’ve stayed steadfast. Don’t you think the Almighty could carry you even further? Trust His plans.– Mufti Isma’il Menk

Meena left the shop as the clock struck two since there were no more customers to attend to. Although she didn’t intend to go home, she knew her mum would be around and they’d have to swim through a sea of awkwardness.

It had been like that since the discussion. Her mum turned to stone whenever she was around. Meena hated what had become of their relationship — not that they used to be very close before — but at least, they could have normal conversations.

Now all she got were brief instructions/replies and one searing look of disappointment whenever her mum thought she wasn’t looking. 

So she set out to her bestie’s house, where she could be herself, just for a short while. She knocked on the door, pulling up her brown veil which had slipped off her shoulder. She was wearing an elastic red top with a black flare skirt streaked with red and white swirls that covered the pointed end of her flat slippers. 

Barakah opened the door and beamed at her. “Aunty Meena Pepper dem o!” She hailed, wiggling her brows as Meena struck a pose, raising one hand to fan herself. 

“Yes oh!” She laughed. 

“Welcome.” 

“Thank you dear.” Meena replied and settled on an off-white  couch, directly facing the Samsung TV sitting on the amber glass stand. 

“Where can I get you?” Barakah asked, walking towards the standing fridge in the dining room. 

Meena hissed slightly, placing a finger on her chin. “Give you something light.” She smiled. 

Barakah laughed and opened the bottom fridge. She took out a bottle of coconut milk which she had prepared a few days ago. She picked a tall glass cup from the top of the fridge and set them on a small white stool placed between Meena’s seat and another. 

Yawwa ‘yan mata.” Meena praised, raising the cup to her lips as Barakah sat beside her. 

Kauthar appeared from the kitchen. “Oya, Barakah je ki zuba namu Sai ki zuba sauran a flask–go and serve our food, then put the rest in the flask. She instructed and Barakah headed for the kitchen. 

Ah ah, su Meena manya.” Kauthar greeted, plopping on the seat Barakah vacated.

“Mmm,” Meena gazed at the empty cup. “as If I should not stop.” She muttered, smacking her lips together. 

Ah, you for eat the cup na.” Kauthar eyed her. 

“Mmm,” she leaned back, placing her hands on the couch’s arm. “How na?”

Kauthar spreads her arms, tilting her head to the side. “How you see me?”

Meena rolled her eyes in reply. 

“I thought you have forgotten about me na.”

  Meena let out a small hiss. “My sister, na work o.” 

“How’s the designing class going?” Kauthar asked. 

Meena just shrugged in reply. She had recently taken up a fashion design class in Festac. 

“What’s up na, you look…” Kauthar rotated her hand as Meena sighed. 

“Nur is coming to Lagos.” She announced. 

Kauthar opened her mouth in surprise, then she shrieked. “Are you serious?” She leaned towards Meena, eyes twinkling. 

Meena couldn’t help but chuckle, her cheeks warming up, though only she would know since she was dark skinned.

Finally, she mused, someone who’s genuinely happy for me. 

“Kai,” Kauthar clapped her hands. “Ki ce min fara shirin buki–that means we should start preparing for a wedding.

Meena’s smile faltered at the last word. She looked down at her hand. “Ummi is not happy.” She said.

“Oh,” Kauthar mumbled, deflated. “Because he’s Igbo?”

“Not just that,” Meena shook her head and looked up. “She’s mad at me for not telling her about him earlier.” 

“Oh, but you two weren’t serious then na.” 

“That’s what I’ve been trying to explain to her, I wanted to be sure first, but…” she shook her head. “She feels I don’t trust her enough.” 

“Woah, okay.” Kauthar rested her face on her open palm. “When is he coming?”

“This weekend,” Meena mumbled. She had anticipated his visit for a long time, but with the response she got, she was not sure anymore. And it was not like she could stop it. 

“Don’t worry,” Kauthar reached for her hand. “I’m sure when they meet, her reservations will be cleared.”

“I hope so o. Ever since he expressed his intention to come here, I’ve been so excited that I believed nothing would go wrong. Nur is the first man that…I just feel…” She sighed. “It felt so right with him and with the confirmation I got from my istikhara, I thought that was a sure sign for success.”

“You know how these things go.” Kauthar shrugged. “Nothing good in life comes easy.” 

“But I’ve waited for so long. “She turned to her, eyes glistening. “Kauthar, I thought the delay was just so that there wouldn’t be waste of time when the right man arrives.”

Kauthar rose her shoulders, shaking her head. “It’s life, you never know.”

Meena looked away. She just hoped this trial would work in her favour. She had been patient for so long, or was it still not enough? 

•••
Greetings, my people!
Hope your week has been going well🥰
So...
How are the chapters so far?
Any thoughts? Do share.
The star button is also there o, tap it.
And share with your fellow readers😉
Cheers!

F.I Uthman