Ten

Dear soul full of hope and fear, You are already victorious. 
You need only to be patient until you see the fruits of your good end.– Umm Zakiyyah

“Ah ah na, I’ve not taken any selfie o.” Bushra pouted, tilting her phone in front of the mirror. 

Shukra turned towards her and rolled her eyes, then turned back to her spying post by the door. 

“What’s up na, they’re not yet done?” Meena asked from the bed. 

“No, Abu is still talking.” 

Bushra scoffed. “You mean lecturing.”

Meena sighed. It’s been ten minutes since their arrival, but she felt it’s been longer than that. “Has Abu forgotten that they’re leaving this evening?” 

“It’s like he has o,” Shukra mumbled, then she let out a loud “Ehe!”, startling Meena. She walked towards her, “Ummi is coming.” She wiggled her brows and sat beside Meena as the door opened. 

“Oya, it’s time.” Fadilah announced. 
Meena could feel her insides quivering as she walked behind her mother, she tightened her hold on Shukra’s hand. From the half open kitchen door to her left, Kauthar gave her a thumbs up.

Traitor. Meena thought, attempting to glare at her. 

After that, she kept her head down and didn’t raise it up until she was settled beside her mother on the sofa facing their visitors. 

“Masha Allah.” She heard a female voice gush, but she dared not raise her head. Staring down at the center table, she listened to the hush conversations. Her heart thumping loudly as if to burst out any minute. Then she felt a light pinch on her left hand. 

Oh, I haven’t greeted! She mused and slid down to the ground. “My apologies, Assalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatu.” She said in a voice above a whisper. 
She heard them laugh before they replied, even Bushra— seated beside Shukra, snickered.

“What’s that, come over here and sit beside me mana.” The female voice said. 

Taking a deep breath, Meena raised her head: An elderly light skinned man sat at the right end of the three seater, his eyes warm and kind.

Beside him was Nur (she knew that already), dressed in a striking blue jumper with red embroidery on the front and a red cap to match. Their eyes met, long enough for them to capture each other’s smiles, before he turned towards his younger brother who was chattering excitedly, also in a matching blue attire. 

Then there was the lady, the only dark skinned among them, eyes twinkling behind wire rimmed glasses and lips wide showing a set of white teeth, including a golden tooth on the upper left row.

“Come come.” She beckoned, arms open wide. Her silver veil covering the upper part of her body and a black head scarf, which matched the floral gown she was wearing. 

Meena held the folds of her dress and went to her side. That was when she noticed that someone was missing, Nur’s mother, Doctor Amal. With furrowed brows, her eyes sought Nur’s, who seemed to be lost in the story his brother was telling him. But Meena knew better.