Twenty-four

Walida hissed slightly and glanced at her watch. It was 07:50 a.m. and Aisha was still yet to arrive. She turned to the parking space behind her, covered with interlocks and marked with chalks to indicate which parking spot belonged to which teacher. Then she heard a thunderous clap, she quickly turned around and joined in, even though she had no idea what was said and to whom.

She was standing at the end of the assembly ground, next to the line of twenty-five little heads that made up the nursery pupils. She sighed and folded her arms, watching the Principal up ahead, talking in her usual chirpy voice, her square framed glasses covering half of her egg-shaped face, and widening one arm towards the line of Primary five pupils who had participated in a Quiz and Debate competition.

She hissed again. Why was Aisha not here na? They were about to head in for the teacher's mid-week meeting, and they had been warned against signing for teachers who were absent.

And Aisha knew that! Walida turned towards the parking lot again, then to the green and white gate across it. It was still shut, and the gateman was perched on a bench, in his green and white uniform, holding up a radio.

As Walida turned to the assembly again, the bell rang. So she quickly rushed to the front of line and ushered the pupils on the grassy path leading towards their classes. Later, the assembly ground was empty, save for the teachers who stood in front of the meeting room, murmuring like their pupils.

The sun hid behind a ring of clouds. There was a loud beep from behind the gate. Walida sighed in relief, glanced at the crowd of teachers before making her way toward the gate to strangle her friend. But then she stopped, as the car coming in wasn't Aisha's husband's black Lexus jeep, but a gleaming red Kia Rio.

Walida watched the car in awe, obviously it was new, for she could see the seats covered in nylon from the partly tinted windows.

'Wow" Mrs. Agatha said as she stood beside Walida, "Whose car is that?"

Walida shrugged, then glanced the other teachers who had also joined in the show. But she was more worried about Aisha. She had tried calling her, but her phone was switched off. What could be wrong?

Walida was still glaring at the main gate when the car door opened, so she didn't see who it was till her name was called. "Kawata-my friend!'

On turning to the direction of the voice, she did a double take, looked at the gate, then back at her friend who was looking smashing in a red lace gown, white head wrap, red bag and white shoes. "Aisha?" She gaped at her friend, not even realizing that the three teachers had moved over to Aisha, gawking, two male teachers were on the car, touching it like a new born baby.

Aisha stood, a hand on her waist, with satisfied smile on her face, nodding to their praises and gushes.

Then went the bell again, announcing the start of the meeting at 08:00 a.m.

•••

Thirty minutes later, the teachers ambled out of the hall to their various classes. Walida didn't bother waiting for Aisha, as the meeting had taken fifteen minutes out of her period.

"Kawata," Aisha called behind her. But she ignored it, switching her bag from her left arm to the right and using her free hand to hold up her flowing white skirt: a skirt she had been dying to show Aisha.

Juts as she arrived at the primary section of the school, made up of a row of green buildings with white roof sheets, she felt a light tug at her arm.

"Haba kawata, where are you rushing to?" Aisha asked, a corner of her lips turned up.

"Menene? I'm late for my classes."